exercise help

Options
I'm a full time working mum to a 1yr old son so in the past I’ve found fitting in (and finding motivation to do exercise) had been really hard. Are there any other working mums (or anyone) out there with suggestions on how to get a decent work out in?

I've just brought some Jillian Michaels DVDs because I’ve heard so many positive things and it seems like I can fit in one of her work outs after putting the baby to bed and before my boyfriend gets home - has anyone had success with these?!

Thanks for any help

Replies

• WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time working mum to a 1yr old son so in the past I’ve found fitting in (and finding motivation to do exercise) had been really hard. Are there any other working mums (or anyone) out there with suggestions on how to get a decent work out in?

I've just brought some Jillian Michaels DVDs because I’ve heard so many positive things and it seems like I can fit in one of her work outs after putting the baby to bed and before my boyfriend gets home - has anyone had success with these?!

Thanks for any help

I would recommend trying fitness blender....either their site or youtube channel. They have hundreds of different workouts and some are only 10 minutes long. You could fit them in whenever you get a few minutes free. I love Jillians workouts and also anything by Shaun T. Good luck to you!!
  • returnofwhiterabbit
    Options
    Thank you thats really helpful! :smile:
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really like Jillian's videos! The kickboxing fastfix one is the shortest I have found, only 20 minutes on the dot! The other ones say 20 minutes but they are more like 25-27 minutes long. Good luck!
  • ActiveStevie
    ActiveStevie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If the weather is fair, an hour of walking with the stroller at least 3 days a week after lunch or dinner has huge results, is free an not taxing on the joints. It’s a win/win and how I actually began my transformation journey.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    You can even get strollers you can run with...
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really loved exercising with my kids when they were stroller aged. but with cold weather you can always check youtube, my favorite is anything by Leslie Sansone. you don't need much equipment maybe a stretchy band and some dumbbells.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    If you want to get some yoga in I would recommend Yoga With Adrienne. She is currently running a 30 day program with all videos available for free on Youtube. The first few videos are a bit longer but most are between 15 and 25 minutes.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Not sure of your budget but some gyms provide free childcare while a parent is working out. When my daughter was really small, the childwatch program at my local YMCA was a huge help (plus they also had "mommy-and-me" type swim classes etc for the wee ones)
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Find some inexpensive (used) free weights (barbells) online. Cardio is great for maintenance but for weight loss resistance/weights are the way to go. It's a quiet workout that will produce better results than just cardio. There are plenty of "low weight" exercises using barbells/dumbells to follow on the internet as well.

My wife found a set online. it included 3 sets - 2lb, 3lb and 5lb which is quite light but it was a good start...now she's up to 8lb barbells.!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Find some inexpensive (used) free weights (barbells) online. Cardio is great for maintenance but for weight loss resistance/weights are the way to go. It's a quiet workout that will produce better results than just cardio. There are plenty of "low weight" exercises using barbells/dumbells to follow on the internet as well.

My wife found a set online. it included 3 sets - 2lb, 3lb and 5lb which is quite light but it was a good start...now she's up to 8lb barbells.!

Unless someone has a muscular or skeletal health problem, weights can easy start much higher. At this weight they don't really do anything.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Dilvish wrote: »

Unless someone has a muscular or skeletal health problem, weights can easy start much higher. At this weight they don't really do anything.

^^^^ for real though. A normal bottle of water is 1 lb (16 oz). Why waste money on buying crappy 2 pound dumbbells unless you have some major health issues? And since she's toting around a small human, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that she is more than capable of hoisting 2 pounds at a time.

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't know if this is a thing? I just thought of it but I can't be the first, but how about 'Baby Lifting'

Baby squats, baby benchpress, baby curls, baby overhead press. You use your baby as a dumbbell (or babybell, calling your child a dumbbell sounds horrible).

This would be a great workout, some good bonding time and I reckon the kid might enjoy it too. As a bonus there's a natural progression as the kid grows and gets heavier you'll be automatically lifting more weight.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a thing? I just thought of it but I can't be the first, but how about 'Baby Lifting'

Baby squats, baby benchpress, baby curls, baby overhead press. You use your baby as a dumbbell (or babybell, calling your child a dumbbell sounds horrible).

This would be a great workout, some good bonding time and I reckon the kid might enjoy it too. As a bonus there's a natural progression as the kid grows and gets heavier you'll be automatically lifting more weight.

I don't know if it is a thing, but I occasionally did it with both my kids when they were little. My son loved it. My daughter hated it.