Can I still lose weight eating mostly carbs if I’m eating 1,400 calories? 5’6 female 21

justicestormzimm
justicestormzimm Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Will eating high carbs stop me from losing weight even if I’m doing low calorie intake a day?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,449 Member
    Will eating high carbs stop me from losing weight even if I’m doing low calorie intake a day?

There's no reason why it should stop you from losing weight.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    No, calories matter for weight loss. Carbs do not.

eta: I'm also 5ft, 6in and aim for 1,400 calories as well (I'm in maintenance but working on a few vanity pounds). I'm experimenting with the DASH protocol right now and eat a carb heavy, plant focused diet right now. I've lost several pounds this month, no problem. I'm also much older than you :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    No.
    Weight loss = eating less calories than your body burns.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    I have been eating like ice cream, and pasta and the like while keeping my daily calories as planned. I have been loosing weight. The only bad thing about it is that it feels good while consuming then a short while later I crave for more and have to resist. This doesnt happen when I eat protein rich foods though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Weight management is about energy (calorie) management, not carbohydrates...carbohydrates are just one of three macro-nutrients...the only thing carbohydrates will do weight wise is add water weight in the form of glycogen stores, which isn't a bad thing, and it's not fat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Dont believe those people who claim you have to cut carbs for weight loss. It is not true. Even my old personal trainers told me that. Complete myth.
  • iSneakers
    iSneakers Posts: 90 Member
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you’ll lose weight. Don’t worry about the carbs. Just enjoy the food you eat!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,738 Member
    Extra carbs won't cause you not to lose weight. Routinely insufficient protein or fats wouldn't be good for you health-wise, though. Vegans need just as much protein, and as much healthy fat, as anyone else does; and need to supplement some nutrients (like B12) as well.