Want to start keto

wisniewskan
wisniewskan Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone I would like to start the keto diet because I have heard good things about it. I was wondering if anyone can give me an example of their day on keto. Trying to meal prep and just need some ideas on what to eat. Thanks!

Replies

• talk2lia
    talk2lia Posts: 2 Member
    takes a lot of will power I did it for a very short time but it was not worth the sacrifice. You will lose weight if doing correctly, and gain some headaches too. The ketogenic diet is only 5% carbs, which usually come from the fat and protein heavy foods you're already eating. So breakfast could be eggs and bacon (no fruit!), lunch is a salad (no dressing!) or meat and low carb veggies (no carrots, corn, potatoes, etc.!) snacks can be avocado, nuts, or cheese, and dinner same as lunch. Wouldn't suggest as almost everything has carbs, but good luck to you
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I have considered a keto LIFESTYLE.... because that is what it is... not a short term fix... try increasing protein first. Jmho..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    talk2lia wrote: »
    takes a lot of will power I did it for a very short time but it was not worth the sacrifice. You will lose weight if doing correctly, and gain some headaches too. The ketogenic diet is only 5% carbs, which usually come from the fat and protein heavy foods you're already eating. So breakfast could be eggs and bacon (no fruit!), lunch is a salad (no dressing!) or meat and low carb veggies (no carrots, corn, potatoes, etc.!) snacks can be avocado, nuts, or cheese, and dinner same as lunch. Wouldn't suggest as almost everything has carbs, but good luck to you

If you're eating a diet that is high in fat, there's no real reason to skip dressing on your salad (unless you just don't like it).
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited January 2019
    I eat keto the majority of the time. Feel free to send a friend request. My diary is open

I do not follow a high fat, eat keto junk diet. I mostly eat lean meats & veggies while maintaining a calorie deficit.

I am not perfect & eat. what I want on vacation. It is very sustainable for me to avoid pasta & bread at home.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I eat keto the majority of the time. Feel free to send a friend request. My diary is open

I do not follow a high fat, eat keto junk diet. I mostly eat lean meats & veggies while maintaining a calorie deficit.

I am not perfect & eat. what I want on vacation. It is very sustainable for me to avoid pasta & bread at home.

If you're eating mostly lean meats and vegetables, how are you achieving a high fat diet?
  • psychod787

Your eating a high protein diet... not keto...
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited January 2019
    psychod787 wrote: »

To get in a ketogenic state involves restricting carbs. I do not have epilepsy so there is no need for therapeutic keto. I have plenty of fat on my body that I want to get rid of.

Eating this way will ensure that I preserve lean muscle mass so the hope is that I will not be skinny fat. There is tons of research out there. Great Facebook groups are Real world Keto & Ketogains.
  • psychod787

To get in a ketogenic state involves restricting carbs. I do not have epilepsy so there is no need for therapeutic keto. I have plenty of fat on my body that I want to get rid of.

Eating this way will ensure that I preserve lean muscle mass so the hope is that I will not be skinny fat. There is tons of research out there. Great Facebook groups are Real world Keto & Ketogains.

Ok..... whatever you say... from my knowledge, very limited as it might be there are two forms of keto. One that's 70-75%f with a higher protein intake and one that's 90% fat. The later is used more for epilepsy. Have actually read some of the research of dr. Dom augustino.. probably spelled it wrong....
  • jman16165
    jman16165 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hey everyone I would like to start the keto diet because I have heard good things about it. I was wondering if anyone can give me an example of their day on keto. Trying to meal prep and just need some ideas on what to eat. Thanks!

I did keto and stopped after a while.
    It works pretty good.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I've done keto for a few years.

When I was eating around 20g of carbs a day, it looked like: coffee with cream and protein powder for breakfast; lunch was nuts, or veggies and dip, or meat and cheese, or leftovers; and diner was usually meat with a veggie.

Now i eat mostly meat based so the nuts and veggies are quite reduced. My day looks more like coffee with cream and meat, with the occasional plant. LOL

Ok..... whatever you say... from my knowledge, very limited as it might be there are two forms of keto. One that's 70-75%f with a higher protein intake and one that's 90% fat. The later is used more for epilepsy. Have actually read some of the research of dr. Dom augustino.. probably spelled it wrong....

Ketogenic diets are just those that restrict carbs enough to be in ketosis most, or all, of the time. Usually under 20-50g of carbs. It can be high, moderate, or low protein (usually medically prescribed), although it is typically moderate protein. Keto is usually high fat, and over 50% fat, but not always.
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    I've completed 3 weeks so far and I'm loving it. I have lost 6kgs/13lbs in that time. My favourite part is that I don't feel hungry and my cravings are gone! Add me if you like I have an open diary.
  • cosafe1
    cosafe1 Posts: 27 Member
    Keto leg cramps at night:
    Can someone talk about how to prevent leg cramps when first starting keto? I am going to start keto - and I remember leg cramps. This is very important for people new to keto to know and it was information I did not know and caused me a few months of leg cramping and waking up getting leg cramps effecting my sleep. Thank you in advance!