How bad were your eating habits?

Options
Just curious were you guys are all coming from ... like how bad were your eating habits before you came here to change them? I’m assuming most of us are all here for the same reason.... we ate too much! With the exception of those with a medical condition that caused weight gain.

Me personally, I was always really good about moderation then my wife became pregnant and I just stopped caring. I was probably eating around 3500 to 5000 calories a day and a lot of fast food and soda.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    When I started my active weight loss phase I continued to eat the same foods I was already eating before-a very SAD diet, with lots of 'processed' convenience foods, fast food a few times a week etc. I didn't change what I ate to lose weight, but I learned what CICO was and lowered my calorie intake to match my weight loss goals. Lost the extra weight (around 50lbs), improved all my health markers and corrected a health issue.

Fast forward to now-my 6 year maintenance anniversary is in April. Throughout that time I've experimented quite a bit with different ways of eating. Currently I'm doing the DASH protocol, along with a mostly plant based diet.

How I eat now is completely different than how I used to eat, but I have years of blood-work/health panels (twice a year, going on 7 years now), that shows that it doesn't matter what I eat-my weight controls my health markers and keeps my glucose number normalized.

As I get older I'm starting to think of long term health, and how nutrition may play a role in that (I'm very interested in the Blue Zones etc), but I also have no problem going out to eat once in a while or eating the occasional cookie, because I know in the scheme of things it's not a big deal :)
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ^^ Geez, looking at you I never would have guessed you ate like that OR had kids!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    All of my meals were fast food. I was consuming 4500+ on a daily basis and wasting a lot of money.

Edited to add:
    Im also pretty sure I was/am a binge eater. I would eat at every meal to the point of feeling sick.
  • thepainmaker88
    Options
    Right, didn't even mention how much money I blew through the drive through!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My eating habits were alright, I came here wanting to get into shape so it was more about playing around with my macros. I used to eat a lot more fat (nuts, seeds, granola) now I eat more protein.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 120 pounds and maintained that for 3 years (now working on losing the rest). my biggest issues were not so much what I ate, but how MUCH.

i still eat the same things i always have for the most part, just much less of it. and, nothing is off limits. learning how to do that, is what made it easy for me to maintain without tracking calories (other than the occasional spot check on things).
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My eating habits were terrible. Tons of pizza, Chinese food, fast food and ice cream all in large portions. I used to have an activity level that allowed for it, but when I got a desk job and started driving everywhere instead of walking I gained weight fast. I still eat pizza, Chinese, fast food and ice cream, but I do it less frequently and in more appropriate portion sizes.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    We ate out a lot when I was a child, and the habit continued into adulthood. I teetered between overweight and obese for pretty much my entire life until I moved away from home and didn't realize my parents were naturally regulating my portion sizes. I gained a good 30 pounds in a year just from eating what I normally ate, but more of it and more often, because I had messed with the regular meal schedule my parents had set (even if those meals were fast food).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Terrible. Just awful. When it came to meals I ate appropriate portions and mostly "healthy" foods. But then on top of that I ate large portions of random...stuff...because I was stress/bored/comfort eating. Grabbing a stick of butter and sleeve of saltines to mow through while my daughter napped was not uncommon. Saltines are still a huge temptation for me so I don't keep them in the house.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I guess my eating habits are still terrible by others standards.

I still eat fast food, I went diet soda so I could eat more fast food. :tongue:

Haha, I think that's true with me too. I'd say it's gotten better in that my salt intake isn't aggressively high anymore, but there are definitely people on here that would balk at what I eat on a daily basis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Mine were never terribly bad. I've always cooked most of my meals from scratch at home. I'd say the biggest issues with my diet were that I never got close to the recommended veg and fruit amounts (I do now) and I drank too much soda.

My weight gain was largely attributable to going from being a very active college student to a sedentary desk job when I was 30 and I put on around 40-50 Lbs from 30-38...pretty much 5-6 Lbs per year, so I wasn't going crazy with food by any means.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My diet was actually pretty good. I've always cooked and always used a lot of fresh ingredients. (It's why I always feel triggered when people say they are gonna lose weight just by eating healthy.) But I also loved to make sauces for some meals. I cooked with lots of butter, olive oil, wine, cheeses. Oh cheese how I miss you!

Then I had a head on collision and didn't lower the amount I was eating. So I gained. I still eat a good bit the way I did before, just less sauces and butter and cheese.
  • thepainmaker88
    Options
    Sometimes I’d eat an entire frozen pizza to get ready for lunch
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    They weren't especially bad so much as I baked at least once, sometimes twice, a week (for one person) and I wasn't working out consistently for various reasons. I exercise more now and typically at a higher intensity and I eat less, but typically the same type of food. My soda habit came and went well before I decided to try to lose weight (it was very situational) and I haven't eaten fast food since I was probably 14, with a few exceptions when there weren't any other options.

I make the same proportion of my meals from scratch
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My issue was that I could never be at a maintenance weight. I would gain 20 lbs quickly (eating way over 2500 calories per day) and then lose the weight in an unhealthy manner (restricting, eating between 800-1100 per day).

I would go from eating junk food to eating only fruits and vegetables, there was never an inbetween for me. I've learned a lot about treating yourself, and not feeling guilty when I want something. All in moderation.

I was maintaining for the last half of 2018, gained a few lbs over Christmas so I'm back at it again to lose them. After that I'm back in maintenance.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I ate very little fruit and veg, so was filling up on all the other high caloric density kind of foods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My eating habits were decent except I just ate too much of everything and I was prone to grabbing candy at work when it was available. I'm now much better about keeping to reasonable portion sizes and I'm much more choosy about what I choose to pick up at work.