New to this

Hi there, new to all of this. One thing I have noticed is by calorie logging it makes you try harder to stay the correct side of the numbers. The other thing I noticed is when I tried fasting yesterday my breath was awful. Is this normal?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Janetspog1 wrote: »
    Hi there, new to all of this. One thing I have noticed is by calorie logging it makes you try harder to stay the correct side of the numbers. The other thing I noticed is when I tried fasting yesterday my breath was awful. Is this normal?

don't know about the breath but why did you decide to fast? it's not required for weight loss.
  • Janetspog1
    Janetspog1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    I tried it to see if it would kick start me, as it claims it does. I was willing to give it a go for a day.
  • tledoux1913
    tledoux1913 Posts: 6 Member
    Not sure if fasting a day can prompt it, but I can say that living low carb can cause bad breath. Lots of sugar free gum was on my weekly shopping list for the 3 years I maintained through 35 healthy carbs a day. The only reason I stopped is I got pregnant and my doctor told me I had to eat more starches to balance out the baby’s diet.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Janetspog1 wrote: »
    I tried it to see if it would kick start me, as it claims it does. I was willing to give it a go for a day.

nah. it just makes you hungry.

don't look at fads, quick fixes and things that promise to speed things alone. The only thing that works is to eat at a calorie deficit. enter your info in MFP and select a reasonable loss rate (if you have less than 25 to lose don't pick 2lbs/week but rather 1.5 or lower). eat that PLUS your exercise calories. do this for a 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

DO make sure to accurate weigh and log your food. this sounds super easy but it actually takes a learning curve and many of us are still improving our accuracy 6+ mts in.
  • Janetspog1
    Janetspog1 Posts: 3 Member
    Actually you are right about accuracy. Since weighing everything I am beginning to see a pattern, that I have been eating healthily but too much.