Squats: can reps substitute for weight?

Options
I do 3x8 heavy squats twice a week. That seems to be the minimum for me to avoid DOMs.

It's going to be very difficult to make it to the gym tonight, and squats are on the schedule for today. Gym might be an issue tomorrow too.

Can I do some crazy number of bodyweight squats tonight and then pick up where I left off on Friday? Only goal here is to avoid DOMs.

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert here but I don’t think bw reps can really sub for heavy weight. You could do other lifts that do the same action as squatting but that are bit more challenging: walking lunges with heavy books, step ups using something heavy in your house, split squats, single leg squats. If you have resistance bands you could use those to mimic some weight while doing a normal squat as well!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is an interesting question, which is why I am bumping it.
    I am going to guess that taking four-five days days off at the gym, or even six, isn't going to make you much more susceptible to soreness than your regular routine -- which is every third day?
    I am thinking that is what I recall from my own training, but I am not entirely sure.
    What if you eased back into it, taking some pounds off the bar when you go back?
    Anyway, it is true that you can build muscle with high reps of lighter weight, so maybe the air squats couldn't hurt?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'd try to find heavy things you have at home that can sub as weights. Bodyweight / air squats as a 2nd option.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider jumps squats.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You want to try to match the amount of work.

normal routine:
    3 x 8 x body weight x added weight = work

new routine:
    work / body weight = needed reps

take that work number, and divide by just he body weight number and that will tell you how many reps you need to do the same level of work - you can divide that into 3 sets or 5 sets or whatever works for you, but that's your total number of reps you need to hit to do the same amount of effort as you normally do with your weights.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You could try blood flow restriction training as well to get a bigger impact at a lower weight.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/your-complete-guide-to-blood-flow-restriction-training.html
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    How about doing some single leg squats onto a chair at home?
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    OP, I find that I get DOMS when I miss a week at the gym. If you just miss one day, it might not be as bad as you think. Just make sure to squat on your next day.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Throw some rocks in a backpack.
  • baznap
    baznap Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You want to try to match the amount of work.

normal routine:
    3 x 8 x body weight x added weight = work

new routine:
    work / body weight = needed reps

take that work number, and divide by just he body weight number and that will tell you how many reps you need to do the same level of work - you can divide that into 3 sets or 5 sets or whatever works for you, but that's your total number of reps you need to hit to do the same amount of effort as you normally do with your weights.

Should that be
    3 x 8 x body weight + added weight = work?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried sissy squats? Also another vote for single leg squats.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I did BW squats last night. I took the advice about total work done, assisted the math sightly (I'm not lifting my feet or ankles, so I assumed 90%) and then did an extra set for good measure.

My car will be ready tomorrow, I'm going to go to the gym and do weighted squats early, then resume my regular schedule.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Throw some rocks in a backpack.

I really liked this idea. We're so removed from nature in the city, this is surprisingly tough. :disappointed:
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    +1 for pistol or single leg squats. But honestly I don't think a week off will make any difference to your squats. You might even come back stronger, allowing that time for your body to heal and grow.