How to determine calories burned hiking?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Why not use 0.3*weight in lbs including backpack * distance in miles and add a little bit extra for the uphill segments?

That's basically what I do.

.3 * weight * distance = resonable cals burned for walking.
    .6 * weight * distance = reasonable cals burned for running.

I figure hiking is somewhere in between those numbers. If I've got a heavy pack and/or the hike is especially strenuous, then I'll use a number closer to the running figure. If not, I'll use a number closer to walking.

Works for me, and is "accurate" enough for my needs.

What are your units for weight and distance?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Why not use 0.3*weight in lbs including backpack * distance in miles and add a little bit extra for the uphill segments?

That's basically what I do.

.3 * weight * distance = resonable cals burned for walking.
    .6 * weight * distance = reasonable cals burned for running.

I figure hiking is somewhere in between those numbers. If I've got a heavy pack and/or the hike is especially strenuous, then I'll use a number closer to the running figure. If not, I'll use a number closer to walking.

Works for me, and is "accurate" enough for my needs.

What are your units for weight and distance?

lbs and miles, respectively
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello! I'm going on a hike this weekend and I'm wondering the best way to figure out the calories burned since I don't have a Fitbit. Depending how far we can go it will either be a 3 or 5 hour hike, uphill and relatively challenging but not extremely steep. How would I go about estimating this?

Hello. I wrote a calculator in a google spreadsheet that has a couple of activities for climbing hills. It was based off of MET values derived from college research projects. Here is a link to the post in which I discuss in more detail where I got the information from:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/638677/exercise-calculator-calories-burned#latest

Here is the link to the actual calculator:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YbEexb8IvXv1m9Z6irkwrBggxOg9b8GKdrLA0mKDVE8/edit#gid=0
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I always log it as walking 3 mph and for steep inclines or more difficult terrain I log it as hiking carrying <10 lb load

I tend to underlog exercise in general, for example, an hour of walking in my neighborhood I will log as 40 min walking 2.5 mph. But for hiking I go close to the accurate time spent on the activity. Works for me.