Any Tips to Stay Motivated?

Options
Hello Everyone! I have heard great things about this app and decided to give it a try. I’m working on losing some weight and getting overall healthier. I know I feel better when I get started but I always seem to get off track and start eating terrible once again. I look forward to meeting my goals and if anyone has any tips on how to stay motivated and resist the fast food cravings, please let me know!

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,378 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the February, 2019 UAC group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/130876-ultimate-accountability-challenge-february-2019

It is a great place to develop self-awareness / accountably habits and shift yourself towards a new sustainable lifestyle. Works no matter what your food plan, exercise strategy, or where you are on your journey (everyone from just starting to nearing goal weight to maintaining for years now)

We have a raft of brand new members also starting this month, a crew that are only on their second month with us, and more than enough olde-timers who can guide you through your transition period.

Hope to see you there.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Read some of the success stories, look through some of the challenges. This app works well for tracking calories and exercise and setting goals. If you enter in your data, it will give you a calorie target for the day, but it is really the community aspect of the app that makes it so successful! My recommendations: log everything you eat, eat back 50% of your exercise calories, make friends on the app and support each other!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    keep foods you enjoy in your daily eating and don’t set your goal to be miserable daily.

a big problem many people encounter is thinking old school diet. cutting too many calories daily and eating bleh « diet food ». they white knuckle it then fall off the rails.

set reasonable goal and eat food you like in moderation.

then - planning! plan your meals even if that just means having good frozen foods and healthy protein around. don’t keep trigger foods around and wait til you are hungry and it is 6pm to start thinking of dinner
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I have heard great things about this app and decided to give it a try. I’m working on losing some weight and getting overall healthier. I know I feel better when I get started but I always seem to get off track and start eating terrible once again. I look forward to meeting my goals and if anyone has any tips on how to stay motivated and resist the fast food cravings, please let me know!

Welcome! First, it's important to remember that you don't need to be perfect to lose weight or be healthy. One bad day is no big deal. And you can eat your fave treat foods, just find a way to keep them under control. I have chocolate every day, pizza once a week (2 slices), some bourbon on the weekends. Just fit it in my calorie goal and make sure the foundation of my diet is nutritious.

This might help too:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • Newbodnewme123
    Newbodnewme123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi so this is the first time I’ve really stuck at it I gave up smoking over a year and replaced my bad habit for a eating habit and gained weight I got my self into a rut but sure it’s better then putting crap into my lungs !! Any how this app has really made me self aware it’s so easy to forget all those small snacking during the day 😫and then eat a massive dinner etc and wonder why am I gaining any how this app has being my bible if I’m honest I put in everything and it’s all about calorie intake !!! I used to go the gym have a shake and a healthy lunch but forgotting the shake could consume about 300 cals or more it was shocking when I start putting it into this anyways I’m on track I’ve lost 5 pounds this month and I’m absolutely reaping the benefits I feel and look better and all because of sticking to the app and adding some exercise but the main this was my eating habits and the people on here the stories are amazing

So best of luck and just remember we are all human and when you have a bad day brush it on and start again tomorrow 🙂🙂
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I find that if you log your calories, honestly this will help you to see what you eat and how much intake you really have during the day. You will find that once you do this you can adjust your eating. Once you adjust eating and add exercise, you should see the weight start to fall off. That may be the start for great motivation. Once you get into it for a while, you don't want to get bored so it gets a little trickier which is why I believe you need a good support network which includes this site! Good luck!