Fitting in the time

Options
Hello friends...so, now that the kids are back in school and I am back to work (teacher) I am looking for how all of you fit in your workouts each day. I find it so difficult to balance it all. I am a morning person, but really struggle with working out before 7 am. I have to be out the door by 8, so the morning isn't the best option...an option, but not my favorite. I can do it in the evening, but then deal with the guilt of not spending time with my kids and husband. If I wait to do it until after the kids go to bed, my motivation and success of actually doing a workout diminishes. How are you all fitting it into your lives, especially those with kids to juggle? I do opt to walk and pick my son up from school whenever possible and do evening walks/jogs with the dog (however, that is where the guilt mentioned before comes in). So, let me know...

Replies

• lemonlime1
    lemonlime1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    if anyone has any ideas, I would welcome them too! I leave for work at 6.30, so mornings arent an option for me either!
  • hibro91
    hibro91 Posts: 4
    Options
    kids are very forgiving and flexible so don't feel guilty...it's just 30 min a day and it goes by fast. they can also come along on walks with the dog (in a stroller maybe, which will increase the calories burned adding to your workout) and this gets them into the habit of enjoying working out too. hope this helps...keep at it!!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Workout after school, I have had to take my kids and put them in the childcare the gym offered or if my wife and I went at differant times one of us watched the kids. I think the kids will be fine while you workout and you can take the weekends off and spend the day with them. A workout of just 20-30 minutes is better than no workout and somedays you can't workout and that is fine, you can't beat your self up over it. Hope that helps. My kids are 8 and 10 and understand when they have to go to the gym with me.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    In the same boat - different stream! I leave for work before 7 am and get home about 5:30 to a chorus of "What's for supper". I try to get in at least 30 mins every evening but sometimes it feels like just another chore. I need to re-motivate myself and remember why I'm doing this. I don't know where some of the members here find the time either.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that being a working mom would be so hard. I am blessed with a gym at work, so I go during my lunch break. There have been times when I didn't make it to the gym, so I have gone home, tossed my toddler in his jogger and headed out for a jog at 6pm. I did some runs & 5ks this summer that took place in the evenings after work. Those nights, hubby would go get our son from daycare. That also means, I didn't see him on those evenings. It is tough, but I don't let the guilt get to me. The exercise has made me healthier and happier. My moods are normal when I exercise. I feel good about myself. And I also do this to set a good example for my son. I NEED to be healthy and happy to be a good mom. I am not much use to my son if I am depressed and not fit enough to run around with him.

I have also heard the little things add up - take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further back, lift heavy things, garden, vacuum, dance in the living room with your kids, etc.

Also - you can lose weight without exercising. Exercise is not required for weight loss.
  • danimoon67
    danimoon67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids?

Mine are three and four and do great in a double stroller. We all go together several times a week. We have quite a few trails. Some of the parks here even have walking paths around playgrounds, so my hubby will play with the kids at the playground while I walk, or we'll all do a big loop together and then they go to the playground while I do another loop.

When they are older we plan to get some bikes and do biking as a family.

I've also learned that having time with just Daddy is good for them, so I have no guilt over that. He plays with them differently than I do, so they love that time.
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Can you get your kids involved. my kids are 8 and they do a little bit of jogging with me...1/4 mile and then get on their bikes and ride while I finish up a run so I can get my run in and I can talk to them the whole time generally. So if they are big enough you can try that or if not put them in the stroller and push them while you walk or run....it is about being with them just as much as doing the excercises and walking will get it done just as much as running will...Good luch I know how hard it is all my workouts are at night as I have to be at work by 6:30 am
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    When my kids were younger I found a really cool park that they loved to go to and I could run the perimeter of the grassy area with the play equipment . That way I could still keep my eye on them at all times. Back then I used a pedometer to calculate distance, now when I have my grandson I use my GPS. Also, as my kids got a little older I found activities we could do together. My youngest daughter started rock climbing with me at age 8 and she loves it. Bike riding is also a great option. If they are very small you can get one of the bike trailers to pull behind your bike which also makes a tougher work out for you. My son always fell asleep in the trailer.
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your kids have already been without you all day, don't make them miss out on that time with you in the evening, too. Taking them with you on walks would be great, but to really get a good workout in you are gonna have to go in the morning. I've been waking up at 3:45 in the morning to hit the gym by 4:45 for the last three weeks. Yes, it's hard. But so are a lot of things that are worth it. :)
  • fordfan67
    Options
    Start slow: 10 minute walk in the evening when you get home, before doing anything else; do a few stretches while you're cooking; vacuum more frequently; wash the car instead of taking it through a carwash (kids can help with this). Remember: every little bit counts!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    *warning* Im going to be harsh *warning*

How bad do you want it? I cant believe the posts in here saying BLAH BLAH BLAH "isnt an option"

I wake up at 4:40 am so I can be to my gym at 5 AM when it opens. Why? Because I want it. Its that simple. I used to workout in the evening because it was convenient for me. My wife and kids ddint feel the same. My excuse was, "if you want me around in the future you need to sacrafice".

Well It wasnt all about me but it was about what I wanted and how bad I wanted it. I chose because I wanted fitness more then I wanted a few more minutes of sleep. Its up to you.

Choose
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am lazy at heart. Really. I do cardio and strength training (pilates class). I get my rear end out of bed 30 minutes earlier than I need to every morning and go for a brisk (4 mph) walk. I feel great once I get that out of the way and now no matter how my day wears me down, I am D-O-N-E with cardio for the day. Other than that I do pilates classes. I pay per 8 week session so my motivation is financial and being that I am a lazy creature by nature, I am held accountable to be there by my teacher and class mates.

Really, any of us can come up with excuses, but it is all about priorities. Feeling mom guilt in the evening? Take the kids and husband on a walk, hike, or bike ride. Any of us can complain about the lack of time in our lives but it all comes down to priorities. For the longest time, sleep in the morning was my priority over exercise.
  • amylynn3_2000
    amylynn3_2000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice...I am definitely going to get the kids involved more. I didn't mention that I do bring my son along on my evening walks/jogs with the dog. He rides his bike with me. My son is almost 6 and my daughter is 4.5. My only option with my daughter is to put her in a stroller or wagon for now...her endurance and speed won't burn many calories for me. My son keeps up very well on his bike and pushes me harder by trying to keep up with him. Unfortunately, taking family walks is not an option...my hubby despises exercise and WON'T do it with us (it sucks). I have a goal of getting up every morning and walking the dog 15-30 minutes before everyone gets up...it's good for me and him. I know getting up earlier is an option, but it is something that I am going to be challenging for me. I just know myself. I am trying to make this the most successful as possible. I don't work full time...only 25 hours a week. So, I am not gone from the kids ALL day. They do have time with me, so I need to let the guilt rest and focus on my needs too. Thanks again for the advice and motivation! I can do this and I can fit it in!
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    kids are very forgiving and flexible so don't feel guilty...it's just 30 min a day and it goes by fast. they can also come along on walks with the dog (in a stroller maybe, which will increase the calories burned adding to your workout) and this gets them into the habit of enjoying working out too. hope this helps...keep at it!!

I agree, 30 min. a day isn't going to hurt them....if anything, it will teach them to take care of their bodies and teach them to be healthy. Good luck...you're worth it!
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options

I agree, 30 min. a day isn't going to hurt them....if anything, it will teach them to take care of their bodies and teach them to be healthy. Good luck...you're worth it!
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Have you tried small stuff?? Dancing around the kitchen.. a friend of mine did that after she had her son. She literally just danced around all over the house when she was cleaning/cooking/etc.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person by nature so working out at night is the best fit for me. Right after the kids are in bed, I go downstairs to work out, any time between 8:45-9:45p. The way I look at it, the time I'm sitting/WASTING in front of the computer on Facebook could be used to get a workout. I tell myself that no one is going to lose this weight except me, so I better just go and do it. Once I get started, I don't mind as much, and I feel/look much better after Jillian Michaels has just kicked my butt.

I can also squeeze in a 20 minute workout while the kids are running around in the basement, but stay out of my space. They even mimic joining in, but don't have the attention span to sustain. They yell out, "Good job, Mommy!"

And during these last summer weeks, I've taken the kids to the playground and let them bike/play on the equipment while I run around the perimeter of the parking lot. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.