Can I still lose weight eating mostly carbs if I’m eating 1,400 calories? 5’6 female 21

Options
justicestormzimm
justicestormzimm Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Will eating high carbs stop me from losing weight even if I’m doing low calorie intake a day?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,164 Member
    Options
    Will eating high carbs stop me from losing weight even if I’m doing low calorie intake a day?

There's no reason why it should stop you from losing weight.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    No, calories matter for weight loss. Carbs do not.

eta: I'm also 5ft, 6in and aim for 1,400 calories as well (I'm in maintenance but working on a few vanity pounds). I'm experimenting with the DASH protocol right now and eat a carb heavy, plant focused diet right now. I've lost several pounds this month, no problem. I'm also much older than you :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No.
    Weight loss = eating less calories than your body burns.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been eating like ice cream, and pasta and the like while keeping my daily calories as planned. I have been loosing weight. The only bad thing about it is that it feels good while consuming then a short while later I crave for more and have to resist. This doesnt happen when I eat protein rich foods though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about energy (calorie) management, not carbohydrates...carbohydrates are just one of three macro-nutrients...the only thing carbohydrates will do weight wise is add water weight in the form of glycogen stores, which isn't a bad thing, and it's not fat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Dont believe those people who claim you have to cut carbs for weight loss. It is not true. Even my old personal trainers told me that. Complete myth.
  • iSneakers
    iSneakers Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you’ll lose weight. Don’t worry about the carbs. Just enjoy the food you eat!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,796 Member
    Options
    Extra carbs won't cause you not to lose weight. Routinely insufficient protein or fats wouldn't be good for you health-wise, though. Vegans need just as much protein, and as much healthy fat, as anyone else does; and need to supplement some nutrients (like B12) as well.