Starting over......again

Options
Hello everyone,
I am looking to lose weight again.
I have tried keto with horrible side effects and felt deprived. Weight watchers is confusing now and expensive. What works for others ? Should I eat clean ? I stress eat a lot and usually reach for cookies, sweets etc. Even when bored. Once I am on a program that works and I see results it is easier for me to stick to it. I am going on 37 and it seems harder to lose weight then in my 20's, maybe that is just me. I also work night shift which I know is hard on weight loss. Any suggestions would be great please. Also would Pilates and yoga be ok to start for activity ?
Thanks,
Ipodmama

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Some people do well with named diets; others hate the restrictiveness of them and prefer to just eat less and move more. All diets work the same, by creating a calorie deficit. Find what you prefer. I found it helpful to simply eat more protein and fiber, and less carbs.

Unless you are doing a power-style type yoga, it won't burn a whole lot of calories, but can definitely help decrease emotional or boredom eating.

More protein plus exercise at lunch time really helps me not get the munchies in the afternoons.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So glad to find your post because I am starting back and getting refocused on losing weight again, so I know how you feel! Last time I lost almost 40 lbs and gained much of it back. I think kshama2001 has it right, the most important thing is to be in calorie deficit. The type of diet is a way to get there. I try to be a low-carb eater, but end up mostly low-glycemic. The latter lets me eat oatmeal for breakfast which I love. I eat protein and fiber and minimize the carbs too.

I also find that any movement helps and just going on a walk can help clear your mind and reduce the stress.

Good luck!
  • JordAsH828
    JordAsH828 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am too about to start my weight loss journey.... again! The keto diet is the latest fad and I've seen SO many people have success with it, but I know myself. Giving myself little to no carbs is not my style. That diet will never work for me, and I won't even attempt it. I also just don't like the idea of cutting an entire food group from my diet, but to each their own and I'm extremely happy for the people who have found success with it. Realistic lifestyle changes is what worked for me before having my son. I ate healthy and as natural and wholesome as I could. I kept my carbs anywhere from 75-150g per day. I stayed within recommendations for all food groups for a healthy adult trying to lose weight. I lost 50 lbs and dropped 3 pant sizes within 6 months. I just focused on eating the healthier carbs (whole wheat pastas, brown rice, etc.). I am big on sweets too. When I wanted to eat a brownie, I found a great recipe to make them with black beans. When I wanted ice cream, I would find one's I wanted that we're healthier than others and I would keep it simple (1/2 cup of vanilla or a smoothie and add fruits and some almonds or walnuts to it). When I wanted a burger, I found great turkey burger recipes with spinach. I would find ways to eat the things I wanted, but just in a healthy way when I could still enjoy it, but also benefit. It worked for me. I gained all my weight back because I got pregnant, had severe morning sickness, and could only tolerate eating junk for majority of my pregnancy. Then after having my son, I suffered from a lot of depression that withheld me from being motivated. Now, 2 years later and I am ready to start all over again, but I'm following this exact routine again and I'm excited. Best of luck! Add me if you'd like, but either way best of luck on your journey!!
  • Bend_and_sway
    Bend_and_sway Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I joined a really fun and inexpensive support group called TOPS. Look up the website for a meeting near you. There are weekly weigh in, games and challenges. They dont promote any type of diet. They support you in whatever you are doing. Overall, weight loss is calories burned need to be more then your consume. Be consistent. Dont restrict yourself where you rebound too hard.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    you have to figure out what works with your personality and just remember.. how you lose it is how you have to maintain it.