Need an encouraging word.

Options
Hi all I am new to this site and really need an encouraging word. Gained 50 pounds in the past couple of years. I have been taking care of everyone but me including a sick parent. I know I have to walk this journey not only for health purposes but to find the me I have lost. I am ready but am scared if that makes sense. Any words to live by would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hey there, feel free to add me. You'll find endless amounts of support and motivation on this site, and I also have an active, open support group if you're interested. The hardest part of starting is that first step :)
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    Options
    You can do it. It's all a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and taking it one day at a time. Don't expect to be at your goal overnight or the next day either. I wish you the best.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I think you need more than an encouraging word. You need some friends! I'm sending you a request.

You can do this. Your health is too important and you deserve to be able to reach your goals. You'll find this website to be completely amazing and full of wonderful people happy to give advice, tips, and... those words of encouragement.
  • Dskwon
    Dskwon Posts: 17
    Options
    Losing weight is easy if you do this: Eat less than you did before and exercise more than before.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I think Nike says it best...just do it! Not for others. but for yourself. I too was always putting myself last and one day I decided to change and do something for me! I joined MFP and have gotten the support from the great friends I have met and have also been a great help to those that have needed it. So from me to you...JUST DO IT!!!
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    aw bless you! You will find loadsa helpful stuff on here, I'm new-ish too my targets 46 pounds so pretty much the same :) you'll do great !!
  • msjonz27
    Options
    im not sure if my words will encourage you, but hopefully they will. i can relate 100%. i too have gained 40lbs and taking care of a sick parent! you are not alone! i have just made up my mind to really focus on what i can do (watch what i eat)! im also using something the dr. has suggested to help me along this path! do what you can, take one step at a time and make up in your mind to be a better you!
  • msjonz27
    Options
    yay! keep it! thanks for the motivation!
  • joied
    joied Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey rock…I too am scared which really baffles me! I know I want and need to lose weight for oh so many, many reasons but seem to sabotage myself when I succeed in losing just a bit. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Just focus on the WHY you're wanting to do this. I think with a little bit of support, you & I can help each other. Feel free to add me as a friend - friend-in-weight-loss.
  • fish119
    fish119 Posts: 67
    Options
    One day at a time. If you have a bad day there is always tomorrow! I'm pretty new to this too. Everyone has been really nice and really supportive, I believe you will really enjoy taking the time to make yourself healthier!! Welcome...and Good Luck!!!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that as they say. You can check out my profile and friend me if you want. It can be done. It just takes a little longer when you have such obstacles in your way. Take it one day at a time and you can do it.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am new to this site and really need an encouraging word. Gained 50 pounds in the past couple of years. I have been taking care of everyone but me including a sick parent. I know I have to walk this journey not only for health purposes but to find the me I have lost. I am ready but am scared if that makes sense. Any words to live by would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

Welcome to the site! I have found that adding more people as friends has been helpful than just using the site by itself. The community on here is fantastic. It's great support reading blogs or the message boards and having people give encouraging words when you complete your daily diary or shed some pounds. Feel free to add me! Just remember to take it one day at a time and never get discouraged if you have a bad day. Like you said it's a journey... not a race :) Hope you like the site! Here's one quote I like you can think about...

"Rather than aiming for being perfect, just aim to be little bit better today than you were yesterday."
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
    ~William Shakespeare

You have my support and faith! I know you can do this! Getting started is the hardest part. Set your goals and then reach them!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have recently started this journey, looking to lose about 70 or so lbs just to get out of the "overweight" BMI category. So far I have lost 9.2lbs and I am beginning to believe I can do this. This is what has worked for me so far.
    1.) LOG. LOG. LOG: No matter what you eat, the good, the bad, the UGLY! Log it. Try to be exact but overestimate rather than underestimate if the problem comes up. Do it right after you eat, or even before you eat.
    2.) Plan ahead-I take my breakfast, lunch, and snacks to work everyday
    3.) Kitchen Scale and measuring cups and spoons: I am not a recipe person. I throw stuff together and it tastes good. LOL. So I take a piece of paper and pen into the kitchen with me and before I "throw in" the first ingredient, i measure or weigh it. That way I can keep track of just how many calories I am consuming. I measure Mayo and peanut butter for sandwiches and olive oil and butter for cooking. It all adds up.
    4.) Become involved in the community:Read posts, make friends, start your own posts. It is good to have people to talk to that understand, and that you don't know. ;)

I hope this has helped. And feel free to add me. :)
  • MCYoung
    MCYoung Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all .... know that you are not alone!!! :flowerforyou:
    Don't be scared ~ We are all in this together.
    Tell yourself every day that you CAN do this ~ I believe that you can, so you need to believe it too!
    Know that you are going to have tough days but the next day is a new day.
    Never ever give up!!! You didn't when you were taking care of your sick parent!
    Drink water.... lots and lots of water ...... and keep moving!
    Slow walk, brisk walk, ride a bike, swim .... play frisbee .... get a hulahoop ..... just keep MOVING!!
    Add me as a friend ~ I will be here for you!!!!! :happy:
  • rocktheages
    Options
    Thanks so much that does really help that someone can relate to what I am saying. Thank you. Keep up your good work also...
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    welcome! I wish you luck on your new journey!
    you are surrounded by people who will support you. :)

there's already been great advice posted here!!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Welcome doll!! If you use this site, and stick with it, it can be a GREAT tool!! Good luck, and feel free to add me for more motivation :)
  • BigBadVooDooBob
    Options
    Some people benefit from setting a series of small goals. Don't look at the 50 pounds you gained, look at the first 10 pounds you want to lose. Once you lose that, and you will lose it, look at the next 10 or even 20. Sometimes you need to take the short view and the little victories!
  • MIZZOUMEGS
    Options
    "A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - St. Augustine.

Best of luck to you on your journey.