Motivation in cold weather

Options
Hello i been trying to be healthy i live in ohio and weather is bad and i binge eat a lot and very very lazy. I had the decision to start over February coz i dont want to quit. How do i stay motivated anyone has tips from cold weather cities?. What you do?

Replies

• thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I’m in Wisconsin at is been really freaking cold this week... I also struggle WAY more in winter as I don’t run and I basically stay indoors where as in summer I’m running daily and always at the beach.

For me it’s come down to getting strict about my caloric intake and compensating for the lost activity level... I will continue to eat less until I’m back to burning my 500 calories a day in summer.... I don’t know what else to recommend unless your into winter recreation like snow shoeing or skiing...
  • loserbaer
    loserbaer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! That’s great advice about watching calorie intake, Painmaker! On the news today, it said you actually increase your metabolism and/or burn more calories by exercising in cold weather. Said also to be mindful of frostbite...lol 😬💕
    I see you have a little one, Sara, and thought it might be fun to play a game of “freeze” tag with the little ones for a short bit 🤗💖
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    loserbaer wrote: »
    Hi Ladies! That’s great advice about watching calorie intake, Painmaker! On the news today, it said you actually increase your metabolism and/or burn more calories by exercising in cold weather. Said also to be mindful of frostbite...lol 😬💕
    I see you have a little one, Sara, and thought it might be fun to play a game of “freeze” tag with the little ones for a short bit 🤗💖

Your body core temp stays cool so you can work out harder and longer. If you go gym put warm clothes on and gloves same if you are going on run you need to keep muscles warm. if there is snow there try cross country ski good for kids too. keep warm it is Hot here now!!
  • loserbaer
    loserbaer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jason! I knew it said something 😊💕
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Please make safety your first priority! At -40F, it only takes a few minutes for exposed skin to get frostbite. There are things you can do indoors.... dancing, burpees, NYT 7 min HIIT workout, body weight strength training, tons of YouTube channels full of routines just for this. I’d rather be outside, too, but make the best of it and find something fun (and safe) indoors. Think of it as a change of pace and a chance to explore. Who knows, you might find something you love doing.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,424 Member
    Options
    For the parts of the continent where this weather is NOT typical, so you don't have the outdoor clothes 'cause you just never had to deal with this kind of situation long term on a regular, yearly basis ...... COLD CAN KILL IN MINUTES IF YOU ARE NOT DRESSED FOR IT!

Stay safe! Stay Warm!

I have lived in "Cold Country" all my life - it takes ~ 5 minutes from " decide it's time to leave" to gearing up, to going through the door ..... and THEN have to start car, scrape or brush car windows, maybe clear sufficient snow or plow leaving to get out of driveway ..... and THEN start longer than normal commute.

We've had some snow this month too
    izrmx60y4upe.jpg
    BTW, those are Adults on the road ....

See @ahoy_m8 's suggestions for indoor possibilities. Do things like that for now ....

If you are desperate for the illusion of The Big Outdoors - search Youtube for "treadmill workouts" "elliptical workouts" and / or "virtual trails / tours". You get a first-person view of "the trail / road" unwinding before you as you jog in front of the tv (if you have indoor cardio equipment where you can see the tv, or can call it up on a tablet you can put on the magazine rack, so much the better!) They can be anywhere from under 15 minutes to over an hour. (Or there is the 6 - part "real time down the Grand Canyon" set ...

Explore places you've been "for real" in the past, or check out places you have always wanted to see.
  • lauris1
    lauris1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello i been trying to be healthy i live in ohio and weather is bad and i binge eat a lot and very very lazy. I had the decision to start over February coz i dont want to quit. How do i stay motivated anyone has tips from cold weather cities?. What you do?

Hi 👋🏼! Happy cold 🥶 Tuesday listen Witt this polar vortex affecting various parts of the country you DONT have to go out of the comfort of your home to go work out (unless it’s coz u have a gym membership and 🏃‍♀️ run to your car to workout at the gym)

What I do is I place reminders on my phone for 1 hour of exercise in my LIVING ROOM so I communicate with family members that for one hour the living room will be mine , I connect my laptop with a hdmi cable to my tv and work out to either Bollywood workouts on YouTube or my favorite ones : Xhit https://www.youtube.com/user/XFitDaily

You can also follow Rebecca Louise on Instagram she was one of the hosts of Xhit workout channel.

Grab your yoga mat and beat of luck to you this February! Xoxo Lau
  • jessimia
    jessimia Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Winter is a rough time! Having friends to help support and encourage you is super motivational! Feel free to add me 👍🙌😃