Question

Options
Why do some days I am more hungry than others. Am I not eating enough??

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    could be mental, could be youre under eating, could be just one of those days, could be youre more active and hungrier.

could be anything.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm always really hungry the day after a lifting session. Do you notice any patterns like that?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    That's really hard to say without any details. Would you be willing to share your stats, activity level, and calorie levels? If the diet or exercise is new, I might say that it's just an adjustment period. But without having any sense of how much you're eating or anything it's really hard to say.
  • texascarrot820
    texascarrot820 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    over the past three or four days I switched to losing 2 pounds a week. I am going to try 1.5 a week. Maybe that will help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Because
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Because we're humans and not robots. Every day is not identical, even if it may seem so on the surface: same daily schedule, same job, same activities, etc.

Some days I'm hungrier than others. Some days I'm more active than others. That's just life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,405 Member
    Options
    Use food diary review to look for patterns.

Could be something on the day the hunger occurs, could be the day before. Possible hypotheses to consider, in no particular order:

* Over-restricting calories,
    * Eliminating desirable foods that you'd be capable of moderating,
    * Trying to revolutionize eating from "all bad foods" to "all healthy foods" in one giant step (I can't define either of those quoted phrases, and neither can most people who use them, IME),
    * Not enough of the macro(s) that's most satiating for you (typically fats, protein or fiber, but can be carbs),
    * Not enough of specific foods that are satiating for you (could be anything),
    * Unnecessarily large amounts of food that aren't filling,
    * Unnecessarily large amounts of food that isn't nutritious,
    * Poor nutrition generally,
    * Sub-ideal timing of eating (how many meals/snacks, how big, at what time, at what stage of hunger/craving, etc.),
    * Sub-ideal timing of particular nutrients,
    * Inadequate or poor quality sleep,
    * Underhydration,
    * Stress,
    * Emotional issues;
    * Hormonal fluctuations from menstrual cycle or other factors,
    * Boredom,
    * Habit (of eating at particular times, or in particular situations),
    * Social triggers,
    * Volume of exercise,
    * Specific exercise modality (for example, some people find cardio makes them ravenous, some find weight training does)
    * Specific exercise pacing (some people find that HIIT makes them ravenous, but mild exercise doesn't or vice-versa,
    * . . . and others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I'm not saying all of these are a problem for everyone. I'm saying any of them can be a problem for someone. Usually, some self-reflection on one's diary, comparing happier days to less happy ones, will produce some personal insights.

And, yeah: Losing 2 pounds a week (let alone more) can be an issue. If not well over 200 pounds, with at least 50-75 pounds to goal, it probably isn't a good idea (in terms of health risks) anyway.
  • TexasChic1998
    TexasChic1998 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am still trying to find out what my triggers are and what I can work on.
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am still trying to find out what my triggers are and what I can work on.

When you start getting that urge to eat and you already ate .
    Write down why you feel the need to eat again .
    Ask yourself how hungry are you .
    Just keep a journal around you .