New member and first time doing Keto!

Options
Hi everyone I’m a Latina from California and so excited for this new journey of my weight loss! I decided to try keto because it’s one diet I haven’t tried and my sister is all for it so we’re doing it together and so far almost 3 weeks in and feeling awesome! Any tips or recipes are welcome! My first goal is to lose 30lbs and go from there..I’m overweight and got a long way to go but time will fly! So far I’m down 5.4lbs! Can’t forget the .4 lol

Replies

• timgallegos15
    timgallegos15 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey Mira, well im doing keto, im not a pro, but what helps me big time is that i sit down and write out what im going to eat for the week, then prep it... I use google alot to see what is keto friendly and what is not....
  • wandering44
    wandering44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mira: good for you and your sister. It's much easier to do with a partner. You need to do lots of research to find out what's available and what has the lowest carbs. Don't forget to keep your fat intake up. Your goals on the keto diets should be no more than 20 grams of carbs, 133 grams of fat. The protein allowance is found by dividing your desired weight by 2.2. I sit down with MFP at breakfast time and plan out the meals for the day. If I'm over or under on my goals I can adjust what I eat BEFORE I eat it. I have found the hardest thing to do is to eat enough fat. Anyway, there are lots of information and recipes on the internet. One word of caution - I have found that the nutritional values published for the recipes do not match up with what I come up with. I do use ingredients that I have entered into my foods with the nutritional values from the labels of the ingredients to get more accurate numbers.

It can be tedious and time consuming to log all of your food but I think it is critically important. After you get your account set up and get good at using the website, your time spent will decrease a great deal. You can share your meals with your sister (not the my foods items). Good luck. I have bookmarked your comment so update that so I can keep track of your progress. I am 74 and wish I had started this at your age. It's a lifetime project.
  • mira_2019
    mira_2019 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Omg that’s so true this app doesn’t use net carbs it uses all the carbs and that throws me off! Thank you for the advice!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Any sustainable diet is successful as long as you can stick to it. For keto, the only given rule is to minimize processed and starchy carbs, low carb vegetables and fruits are acceptable, focus on protein according to your needs since keto doesn't spare lbm loss, and fill the rest of your caloric/tastes with fat. And like anything else, calories always count.