Question for the Successful...

Options
I just started my diet a week ago today. I didn't actually weigh myself until Thursday, so i'm waiting until Thursday to do that again. I was just wondering for those that have had success with weight loss, how long did it take before YOU could tell/feel a difference? I'm not getting discouraged and i'm not quitting, I was just curious. I generally just feel better and more energized, but would also like to start feeling clothes getting looser, etc, so I just thought I would ask those who have done it. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Laura

Replies

• jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    it took me around 6 weeks to see it in myself because of clothes. it took a long time before i actually noticed a big difference. remember this is a life change. it took a long time to gain weight and get out of shape and it will take a long time to get in shape and lose the weight. it's not an over night thing :) good luck to you
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 15 pounds before I noticed anything, and about 30 pounds before anybody else noticed.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I started feeling better pretty much immediately, like within a day or two. I didn't have any particular expectations and I don't think I even owned a scale when I first started. But as a rule of thumb, you would probably see a noticeable difference every 12 weeks or so, if not quicker.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I started with over 80lbs to lose. I could see it in the pictures soon-ish but for me looking in the mirror I didn't feel like it was a lot until about 20-25lbs were gone. It's why I think before, during, after pictures are sooo important. It's easier to see in pictures than in the mirror earlier.

I once read it takes about 6 months for your mental image to catch up with the actual body so I always give myself enough time to know that I have really changed.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I noticed after a couple weeks, everybody noticed about 4 weeks after I started dieting. I've been averaging about 2 pound loss a week. It is still coming off and people notice all the time. It keeps you motivated that is for sure. good luck. you can do it.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I guess I should say within 6-8 weeks. I would mention if your looking for a time frame stop. This isn't something you set out to do until its done. Its never done. You need to change your life.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind - I didn't see a difference for a while because I was wearing clothes that were a little small - like I lost 20 lbs and my clothes suddenly looked SO MUCH BETTER! I was probably down a dress size, I just hadn't gone UP the dress size when I should have! :ohwell:
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    10 pounds down was a real difference in how clothes fit but I FELT great by the 2nd week.

I hit my goal (25 lbs) last week. I have been here for 131 days. It has been FABULOUS.
    It is simply a CALORIE BUDGET that I use every day.

This is the easiest plan I have ever done and I have done MANY!

I just upped my goal to 30 lbs. Then I will decide if that is enough. Then its maintenance.
    best of luck to you.

If you use the DIARY and you log in EVERYDAY and are honest you will be at your goal in no time! :flowerforyou:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    it's not going to happen over night. You're going to have to have some patience. I've lost 15 lbs and haven't lost a clothing size yet, tho my 2X clothes are getting baggy, they're not falling off or anything. My clothes fit better & I feel a lot better, esp when trying to exercise. I can walk 2 miles w/o requiring oxygen or a medic (lol)
    I'm in this for the long haul. I am changing my life for life, so however long it takes, it will be worth it.
  • lauradubbb
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! I don't necessarily expect a certain result by a certain date, but the initial change is the hardest. I find the beginning of this lifestyle change to be the hardest, not only because of the obvious change in eating habits and exercise, but also because it takes a while to see results, so it's harder to stay motivated. I feel much better since I've started, but once I start seeing physical results, I think that will give me that extra push to stay motivated and keep going. Thanks again for the feedback, and congratulations on all of your success! I can't wait until I can post MY first success story.
  • phoebe07
    Options
    I decided to do this as I put 2 stone on in about 18 months after stopping smoking. Granted I was a size 8 and went up to a size 12/14 so I was probably too thin, but I noticed within 3 weeks. I feel asthough I am not on a diet. I love food and have always been able to eat what I want, but age (40) and stopping smoking have made a difference to my ability to control my weight. I have been doing this for 4 weeks and have just started to notice my clothes fit better. I have eaten take away but shared it and have had a night out for my husbands birthday were I consumed over 800 calories more than I should but wasnt dishartened as I felt I could start again the following day.I am enjoying food still but only losing weight really slowly. I must say however I have really cut down on the alcohol, but am not a big drinker anyway
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 15 pounds before I noticed anything, and about 30 pounds before anybody else noticed.
    I'm with you on this one however, I haven't lost 30 pounds yet. And nobody has noticed yet which is kind of discouraging since I have noticed a big difference in myself and thought other people would too. I'm at about an 18 pound loss right now and can't wait until people notice.
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have to say, even at 17 pounds lost, I don't feel or see a difference yet for the most part. I know intellectually there is one, because the number on the scale is consistently going down, I'm averaging 2.8 pounds a week after 6 weeks. But I honestly can't see it. I finally had someone notice last week, and it was almost shocking to me. I mean, I feel better with more energy, but I can't see the weight loss. I haven't even gone done from 18W to 18. For me, I just keep plugging away, knowing that eventually I'll hit some magic number where I can suddenly tell.

Just keep going!
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one however, I haven't lost 30 pounds yet. And nobody has noticed yet which is kind of discouraging since I have noticed a big difference in myself and thought other people would too. I'm at about an 18 pound loss right now and can't wait until people notice.

Nevermind....someone at work just asked me if I have lost weight!!!!! Super excited!!!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

This was my exerience too. But it's really been dramatic, what with the smaller clothing sizes and feeling better all around.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great way to put it! It took me almost a full year to lose 38 lbs. and haven't been able to lose a pound more in about 4 months.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I started off needing to lose right about 100 pounds. I could feel and start to see some subtle differences around 15 pounds and needed a smaller size of clothing by 30 pounds. To date I've lost 80 pounds, and now about every 10 pounds people really seem to notice the difference.
  • Martin1946
    Options
    Took me about 4 weeks before I felt any change in my weight and clothes sizes reduction
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!