Increased LDL cholesterol because of weight loss?

To those who have lost a significant amount of weight: Did anyone experience an INCREASE in LDL (the bad cholesterol) with your weight loss? My cholesterol has always been normal--even at my highest weight-- but bloodwork shows my LDL has actually increased as I've lost 130+ pounds. Apparently this is a thing for some people. My doctor wants to repeat the bloodwork in a few months to see what is happening over time, and to determine if it's related to my weight loss or perhaps just my age. I'm 58, have lost the weight at an average rate of one or two pounds per weight, and used diet and exercise, but not keto.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    No.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The last time I calculated my ratio was 14 months ago. It was at 3.26 That was 22 months into my weight loss efforts with myfitnesspal. I don't have a record of my LDL.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    No, my total cholesterol and LDL improved after losing weight. I was able to stop taking medications for high cholesterol and triglycerides after losing about 50 out of my 100 pounds, and I now manage my lipids without medication. It’s hard for me to say whether it was weight loss alone, exercise alone, or a combination of the two that caused this.

Did your LDL go up a lot, or a relatively small amount? Do you have others in your family who have high cholesterol? Did your doctor have any ideas about what might have caused it?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    ive lost 120+ and still normal
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    No, my total cholesterol and LDL improved after losing weight. I was able to stop taking medications for high cholesterol and triglycerides after losing about 50 out of my 100 pounds, and I now manage my lipids without medication. It’s hard for me to say whether it was weight loss alone, exercise alone, or a combination of the two that caused this.

Did your LDL go up a lot, or a relatively small amount? Do you have others in your family who have high cholesterol? Did your doctor have any ideas about what might have caused it?

My HDL is still normal, but my LDL has increased from optimal to high normal / slightly elevated. He says it could be related to my extreme weight loss ( I looked it up, and apparently it does happen), and if that's the case it should level off when my weight stabilizes. It could also because I'm 58, and elevated cholesterol is common at that age. But of course, the remedy for that is diet and exercise. The irony! Lol

My mother's cholesterol is slightly elevated, and she's 86.

• LioTrn
    LioTrn Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2019
    My LDL decreased after my diet. It all depends on the food and the activities.
    It's a fact, sports activities boost HDL and lower LDL. Some food does the opposite. It's not a matter of losing weight, it is about your lifestyle. But in general, Losing weight should improve your cholesterol since it implies a healthier lifestyle.

• queenoscots
    LioTrn wrote: »
    It's a fact, sports activities boost HDL and lower LDL. Some food does the opposite. It's not a matter of losing weight, it is about your lifestyle. But in general, Losing weight should improve your cholesterol since it implies a healthier lifestyle.

The point I'm trying to make is that my LDL has increased IN SPITE of diet and exercise, which sometimes happens. My cardiologist confirmed it. I tried to make that clear, but perhaps I didn't. Here's one article, but there are others:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/500114-can-losing-weight-raise-your-cholesterol-temporarily/

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the experience.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2019

The point I'm trying to make is that my LDL has increased IN SPITE of diet and exercise, which sometimes happens. My cardiologist confirmed it. I tried to make that clear, but perhaps I didn't. Here's one article, but there are others:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/500114-can-losing-weight-raise-your-cholesterol-temporarily/

According to the link you posted, the rise in total cholesterol is temporary. Is that what your cardiologist said as well?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2019
    OP, the sites you are linking to happen to be clickbait sites, so I wouldn't take anything you find there at face value.

Having said that, I know I have seen someone post about this before, but apologize I can't remember anything specific. Hopefully, others will chime in over time.

Congrats on your weight loss and hard work, and hopefully your numbers will even back out.
  • queenoscots
    My cardiologist, who told me the same thing, isn't clickbait. Lol

Thanks for the good wishes!
  • queenoscots
    apullum wrote: »

According to the link you posted, the rise in total cholesterol is temporary. Is that what your cardiologist said as well?

If it is related to weight loss, yes, it should be temporary. I still find it a bit upsetting, because my cholesterol had always been normal, even at my highest weight. I guess I'm just being nervous, but I was hoping to hear from someone else who had the same experience and it resolved itself.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    It can happen. The bigger question is what do your other numbers look like. Particularly, triglycerides, A1C, Cholesterol/HDL ratio and CRP?

Personally, my LDL barely changes. Its genetic for me. And LDL is only a good indicator for 80% of people. And one should consider all the factors instead of focusing on a single data point.
  • queenoscots
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It can happen. The bigger question is what do your other numbers look like. Particularly, triglycerides, A1C, Cholesterol/HDL ratio and CRP?

Personally, my LDL barely changes. Its genetic for me. And LDL is only a good indicator for 80% of people. And one should consider all the factors instead of focusing on a single data point.

Hmmm. Those are good points. My triglycerides, A1C, and HDL are all good. I don't know my CRP. I should investigate more!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

Hmmm. Those are good points. My triglycerides, A1C, and HDL are all good. I don't know my CRP. I should investigate more!

Also forgot that dieting in general can cause weird changes to your cholesterol, especially if you previously were high carbal and then went low carb or keto.
  • melalexdave
    melalexdave Posts: 4 Member
    This happened to me recently, all my other numbers we5r3e good and my LDL all of a sudden was bad, i have an appointment with my doctor to see whats up
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it until your weight has stabilized. As long as you are losing weight, there will be more lipids in your bloodstream (stands to reason since the body is mobilizing fat for energy and the bloodstream is the transport mechanism), so until your weight is stable, the numbers will probably fluctuate.
  • queenoscots
    Thanks for your comments, ccrdragon, melalaxdave, and psuLemon.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Yes and I haven’t gotten it back down in the 3 years I’ve been losing. Dr isn’t too concerned since my ratio is still good, but I previously always had pretty 180-ish even when I was over 250 lbs and now it’s over 200 for the first time. I guess aging might be part of it too.
  • queenoscots
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Yes and I haven’t gotten it back down in the 3 years I’ve been losing. Dr isn’t too concerned since my ratio is still good, but I previously always had pretty 180-ish even when I was over 250 lbs and now it’s over 200 for the first time. I guess aging might be part of it too.

Thanks for sharing this. It gives me something to think about.