How do you decide final weight goal

Options
At 5’7”, I set my final goal to 145. That felt so impossible all those months ago that I didn’t over think it but am now wondering if I should set it lower. I don’t want to disappoint myself and find out at 145 that I still have all lot to lose. I know that will upset me. Was thinking of resetting to 135 but that is just me thinking 135 sounds nice. How did you decide your final?

Replies

• Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I set my first goal as losing 50lbs, I'm at 56 down. So then I was thinking another 20lbs more because that puts me at a healthy BMI, but I see women on here with my height that are another 40lbs down from where I am now.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Personally, I remember being satisfied with what I weighed at 120, so that’s what I set mine to. I was as low as 110 in college and early 20’s but after two kids, I think 120 is more realistic. So for me, I’m going off of previous weights. I am only 5’4 and 30 years old.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    @Stellamom2018 right? 145 puts me in a healthy bmi but that brings up something that probably should have been more obvious. Do people pick weight based on final bmi? 145 would be 22.7 bmi for me.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,407 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9". I picked 160 as my goal, puts me about 8lbs under the top of the BMI for my height. In reality I'd probably like a range about 155-162. I don't care about being "thin" and I know from my past when I was high end of normal weight that I have broad hips completely apart from the fat. I'd say I am medium to large framed.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I base mine on my body composition. It changes over time (since I run bulk cycles) so I pay attention to progress photos and the mirror. I am 5'7 and right now look best at 132-135lbs.
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was pretty much the same weight for all the years between age 18 and menopause, (excluding pregnancy of course) so that seemed like an obvious goal for me. I'm 5'8" and was 135 lbs for all those years.
    Body changes in my late 50's caught up with me and I put on 25 extra pounds -- so now I'm losing those. Only 7 more pounds to go!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I look to the BMI chart....I didn't want to be overweight.. so as long as you're in your healthy BMI range..it is just a matter of preference. I'm right in the middle... I think I'd look too skinny at the bottom of my BMI since I'm tall.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just chose the weight I was happiest with in the past and like others, will re-evaluate when I'm there. I'm primarily going off how happy I am (or not) with look and feel.

That scale...that's a harsh task master, so I just use it now to see trends.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I first joined the boards! Like a lot of weightloss topics, it's something you have to reframe in your mind for your sanity's sake. I picked 150 lbs because it puts me into the normal BMI, but with the knowledge that I will be reassessing and considering either a lower goal or a recomp when I get there. I don't think I will be too disappointed if I decide I need to lose more as long as I don't need to make working out my part time job in order to eat a decent number of calories!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Like many above, i set my goal to being in the healthy section of the BMI which is also where i was when i had previously lost weight (I am 5'1 so original goal around 135). This was back in April.

i got to around 137, things were going well, i wasn't hungry or sad about my eating habits. so I set a new goal of..i think 125.

When i hit 126 or so I decided to set a new goal of 120.

I am at 124 now and it's been slow going. I put on a few pounds over the holidays which are gone now but i've been pretty sticky otherwise. But at this stage it needs to be .5lbs/week so it's slow regarless. I may readjust soon as I've been hungry some days (though also playing with new meals trying to eat less animal meat so could be I need to work on that balance).

Not sure if i will try to find maintenance before or after i hit 120. at .5lb/week that would bring me out another 8weeks.

I also have other goals. once i clear up some injuries i hope to get more purposeful exercise going again which will hopefully allow me to increase my calories. I need to look at recomp i think VS weight loss. And I have a lot to master when it comes to eating properly when around family and friends (i can do very well when it's just me but if I am with family for a week i don't stick to my good habits very well).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »
    @Stellamom2018 right? 145 puts me in a healthy bmi but that brings up something that probably should have been more obvious. Do people pick weight based on final bmi? 145 would be 22.7 bmi for me.

I used BMI. I am male, not an elite athlete and have roughly average proportions (nothing unusual about frame size). BMI is legit for me. In the past, I have had vague goals and/or allowed myself to justify changing them because I felt good enough about how I looked and felt before I got to goal. BMI is a set amount that I can't change. Once I got below 25, I decided I wanted a 10 pound range for maintenance. Since my goal was to get below 25, my maintenance range need to be entirely below. Once again, this gave me a more rigid guideline - to get the larger range, I needed to lose to get to the middle of it; I wasn't giving myself permission to gain some back. I set the top to 5 pounds below 24.9 BMI so I am unlikely to see a weight over 25 even with a spike.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I set my goal as 150, knowing that once I get there I will set a new goal, probably 130 as I liked that weight before. I started at 170 and felt that setting my ultimate goal of 40 lb to lose would be too intimidating to tackle all at once so decided to do it in stages.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, and although I'd like to set my goal at 146, I'm worried about my face looking gaunt and old. I'm shooting for 148 and keeping my fingers crossed.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'7. I started at 182 and set a 155 pound goal (135 is mid-point BMI for 5'7) as it put me at a normal BMI and I thought that would be achievable. I got to 155 so easily, that I decided to aim for 145 (which was about what I weighed in high school ... decades ago :smile: ). Again, I made it to 145 without any serious challenges, so revised to 140. Once I got to 140, I decided to go ahead at go for the 135 BMI mid-point. Just achieved that goal last week, and have set my maintenance range at 135-139.

I guess my point is, don't sweat the final number. Set what you feel is a realistic goal to begin with and then go from there. It is not set in stone and you can decide when you get there if that is where you want to be or not.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've adjusted my goal range a few times, to match where I felt like I wanted to be at the time. There's no hard rule that says you can't adjust your numbers around and see how you feel at different spots :) I think there's a few of us who also adjust based on the season-I like to be at a lower range during the summer, but then allow myself to creep up a few pounds during the fall. It's all controlled and planned out though.
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    well I know where I want to be because I spent most of my life there....it wasn't until this last year that my body changed into something that needs work...
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" in my mind 20s I was 145 and was happy and comfortable at that weight. Years before that I was 115 and hated it tried everything to gain weight.

The number on the scale doesn't really matter to me. When I get down to 160 and I feel good then great if I still feel like I would like to loose a bit more then I will. Currently my goal is set for 140.