The Chunk

Options
machel131
machel131 Posts: 17 Member
Hi Everyone. I'm Machel (Pronounced Michelle). I've lost and gained 50 pounds 4 times now Ugh. I've been here for 2 weeks, tracking my calories and weight and I'm doing ok. I seem stuck in a circle of doing well through the week and then gaining some of it back on the weekends. Then it takes all week to get back. UGH Vicious, vicious circle! Anyway, I have about 50lbs to loose once again and instead of looking at the big 50 I'm going to do it in 5 pound chunks. I've already lost 7 lbs so one chunk down and 3 lbs to go till my next goal! I am not sure how to "friend" others on here but I'd love to have someone to chunk with :-)

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You don't want me as a friend because I am lousy at it but I do suggest reading this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Your weight will fluctuate up and down regardless of everything you do right and the few things you may do wrong along the way. It is unlikely you are actually gaining back fat weight unless you are eating well in excess of your maintenance calories each weekend. It takes about 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a single pound fat.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You don't want me as a friend because I am lousy at it but I do suggest reading this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Your weight will fluctuate up and down regardless of everything you do right and the few things you may do wrong along the way. It is unlikely you are actually gaining back fat weight unless you are eating well in excess of your maintenance calories each weekend. It takes about 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a single pound fat.

Ha. I was gonna post that article. You beat me to it, @NovusDies.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Good idea - sometimes setting smaller goals helps. As you achieve each one you gain momentum and confidence.

Also, you've identified one of your main problems: the weekends. Can you make a schedule and structure your weekends more? Maybe plan your meals and pre-log. Then stick to it, knowing of course that there will be occasional events come up and you'll need to be a bit flexible.

Do you exercise? If so, maybe increase your activity on the weekends.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Taking it in chunks sounds very sensible to me!
    Is that your doggie in the profile pic? Adorable!
  • KcRavassa
    KcRavassa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the same boat club! I've lost and gained back the same 10 lbs for YEARS on my road to losing about 25. For me, same deal... The dreaded weekend, when all bets are off. Feel free to friend me if you want a fellow struggle-buddy. My diary is open to friends (though by no means are my food choices a consistent bastion of responsible decision making). Maybe this is the year we both fight off the dreaded weekend monster of over consuming delicious carbs and fat (and alcohol)!