Chalean Extreme, P90X, something else or join a gym?

Options
Hello, I currently run 3 times a week and follow the Insanity program 6 days a week. I try to throw in some strength training here and there but it's tough with already committing so much time to the other two. It's a lot of cardio and as soon as I finish Insanity next month, I really want to focus on strength training/weight lifting to build some muscles and tone up. I plan to continue running 2-3 days a week so I am definitely not looking for another cardio program or for a program that will make it difficult to continue running. I've heard good things about CLX and P90X but not sure which would be better to reach my goals or if I should just re-join a gym and use weight machines.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have been using CLX and can see a difference in my arms and the way my pants fit (for the better). I havent tried P90X.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    Both are great programs. I have them both.. Honestly this depends on what you are most comfortable with.. If you think doing a workout program at home is easy then go for it. Chalene Extreme is perfect, but if you get discouraged then definately the gym.. I have P90X and Chalene Extreme as well as gym membership.. Actually starting today to hit the gym..

Bodybuilding.com has also some great weightlighting programs for free that you can do at the gym.. Just saying.. :):)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out and start off with Chalean Extreme. You can use resistance bands and light weights for those workouts. Chalene Johnson is very energetic and motivating.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    P90X all the way here. i haven't tried CLX, but I have hear nothing but good things. gyms are a waste of money. stay home and invest in yourself in the comfort of your o wn space.....plus, there's no excuses when the weather is bad :)
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I have been using CLX and can see a difference in my arms and the way my pants fit (for the better). I havent tried P90X.

Thanks Amy for the feedback.
  • melymj4
    melymj4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the gym so this is a biased opinion, I would go for CLX. The workouts are not too long (45 minutes the longest) and you will get very good results. It is CRAZY how strong you get during the Push month (month 2) I started lifting 5lb - 10lbs and at the end of the month I was using 25lbs - 30lbs which for me and my fitness level is a lot. I highly recommend it.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    P90X all the way here. i haven't tried CLX, but I have hear nothing but good things. gyms are a waste of money. stay home and invest in yourself in the comfort of your o wn space.....plus, there's no excuses when the weather is bad :)

Wow you look awesome in your before and after pics. Are your afters the result of P90X?
  • philm00x
    philm00x Posts: 27
    Options
    I've heard Insanity is actually more intense than P90X. I'm 40 days into P90X now and it certainly is an intense workout, regardless of which training path you choose to follow (there are 3 paths: Classic, Doubles, and Lean which is the one I'm doing). That being said, if Insanity is more strenuous, then you should be able to transition into P90X pretty well.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I am not a fan of the gym so this is a biased opinion, I would go for CLX. The workouts are not too long (45 minutes the longest) and you will get very good results. It is CRAZY how strong you get during the Push month (month 2) I started lifting 5lb - 10lbs and at the end of the month I was using 25lbs - 30lbs which for me and my fitness level is a lot. I highly recommend it.

Wow that's an amazing progress. I only have up to 10lb dumbells at home but I know I can lift more than that. I just need to invest in additional dumbells.

My problem with the gym has always been that I find too many excuses not to go. I will go consistently for a while and then stop going and still paying until I get tired of it and cancel. The last gym I was going to got evicted but it worked out perfect for me because I had not been going anyway. So I am definitely leaning more towards a home program if it will get me the results. I know I can stick to a home program because I'm already almost a month in with Insanity.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    You may want to check out and start off with Chalean Extreme. You can use resistance bands and light weights for those workouts. Chalene Johnson is very energetic and motivating.

Yea I love her. I have TurboJam now but that is way too easy for me at this point. I used to do it a long time ago and did do a few workouts here and there in the past couple of months but I really want to kick things up since I am much stronger now.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i would recomend p90x :)
    i am also a stay at home exersicer and will be muscle building with the p90x too !

good luck with which ever you choose x
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I've heard Insanity is actually more intense than P90X. I'm 40 days into P90X now and it certainly is an intense workout, regardless of which training path you choose to follow (there are 3 paths: Classic, Doubles, and Lean which is the one I'm doing). That being said, if Insanity is more strenuous, then you should be able to transition into P90X pretty well.

Thank you Philm. I've heard the same that Insanity is more intense than P90X. I feel such a sense of accomplishment after each Insanity workout and I'm amazed at how well I'm keeping up with it. So I'm definitely not looking to go backwords. If I can survive Insanity then I think I can survive almost anything. :happy:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    It seems pretty even between P90X or CLX so I'm just all kinds of confused now LOL. At least I've ruled out the gym. Seems most people voted against that option.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    P90X is awesome for gaining muscle mass- and that sounds like what you want to do.

Joining the gym is great if you know what you're going to do when you get there. To just go and use the machines you're most likely not going to get the results you want.

You're already accustomed to following a DVD, my advice for you would be to skip the gym (for now) and go with one of the two programs.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    It seems pretty even between P90X or CLX so I'm just all kinds of confused now LOL. At least I've ruled out the gym. Seems most people voted against that option.

I think which one you do depends on your personality and which trainer you prefer. I've tried a different workout program by Tony Horton. He's great, but I found his sense of humor a little goofy and annoying and I love Chalene. So, I decided to get CLX. Unfortunately, I haven't done a whole round of CLX since I wasn't quite ready for heavy lifting.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've done both P90X and ChaLean Extreme (as well as Insanity). If you're looking for a strength based program that is time efficient, CLX, IMO, is the way to go. After 3 rounds of P90X, I thought CLX would be 'too easy.' Not the case if you lift heavy enough to truly FAIL within the required reps in each month.

In addition, CLX is a 5 day/week program (3 days of strength, 2 days of cardio). It's a bit easier to fit your running into that schedule than it would be P90X (unless you're only going to utilize the strength workouts and not the others).

Finally, although I did get great results from my 3 rounds of P90X, it was with CLX that I really started to develop some lean muscle definition. Part of that was because of the work I did with P90X, but the other part is because of the slow, controlled lifting you do with CLX.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme. I went down 2 sizes before finishing month 2. The scale only moved 8 pounds but the results were amazing.

I'm starting up again today. And I cant wait.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I think which one you do depends on your personality and which trainer you prefer. I've tried a different workout program by Tony Horton. He's great, but I found his sense of humor a little goofy and annoying and I love Chalene. So, I decided to get CLX. Unfortunately, I haven't done a whole round of CLX since I wasn't quite ready for heavy lifting.

You are so right. I watched a few minutes of a P90X video for the first time today and Tony annoyed me just in the first 5 minutes. I can't imagine an hour+ a day and good grief for 3 months. I have turbojam now so I already know I love Chalene. So if my decision had to be based on trainer, I'd go with CLX. But I want ot base my decision on which is the better program to achieve my goals and that's what I'm not sure about yet.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I've done both P90X and ChaLean Extreme (as well as Insanity). If you're looking for a strength based program that is time efficient, CLX, IMO, is the way to go. After 3 rounds of P90X, I thought CLX would be 'too easy.' Not the case if you lift heavy enough to truly FAIL within the required reps in each month.

In addition, CLX is a 5 day/week program (3 days of strength, 2 days of cardio). It's a bit easier to fit your running into that schedule than it would be P90X (unless you're only going to utilize the strength workouts and not the others).

Finally, although I did get great results from my 3 rounds of P90X, it was with CLX that I really started to develop some lean muscle definition. Part of that was because of the work I did with P90X, but the other part is because of the slow, controlled lifting you do with CLX.

Great feedback. I really appreciate this. :)