Fantastic article could be a game changer!

Options
I just read a fantastic, myth busting, article debunking the magic 1200 number. Read the whole article and especially watch the short video about two thirds of the way through. I'm confident this will help me with my last ten lbs and would have made my 50lb journey much more efficient! Enjoy and pass it on!
https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    We have had many, many posts about how 1200 is not the magical number for most women and never the magical number for men.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That is so helpful, thanks.
  • 69golfergal
    69golfergal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well Debrakgoogins I don't claim to be original. The thing in the article that impressed me most was the little video that emphasized how important it is to measure and what the consequences are for doing it incorrectly. Sometimes something just rings a bell as this did for me. Nothing I didn't already know but a reminder to be vigilant.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Well Debrakgoogins I don't claim to be original. The thing in the article that impressed me most was the little video that emphasized how important it is to measure and what the consequences are for doing it incorrectly. Sometimes something just rings a bell as this did for me. Nothing I didn't already know but a reminder to be vigilant.

I completely understand and I apologize if my comment came off high handed. It wasn't meant to be. On the subject of measuring correctly...google "Can you spot the difference in calories" and go to the images. There are many excellent examples of how easy it is to underestimate calorie consumption.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good reference article. Sometimes people can get defensive about their diets and using this article as a reference instead of "because 1,200 calories is bad" could help convince people to up their calories.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Nice resource... bookmarked to link on all the 1200 calorie posts in the future ;)
  • RKIANA2018
    RKIANA2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My doctor placed me on a low carb, 1200 calorie diet, and I felt as if I was starving everyday. I'm 5'11" and have about 200 pounds to lose. Thankfully he's since increased my calories to 1400 per day. Still that really isn't enough because my daily deficits through exercise are 300 calories +/-. Then tack on my Basal Metabolic Rate [BMR] which is 2278 calories. My BMR is what I need to maintain daily used calories from simply living without exercise.

Several years ago I easily lost weight on a 2700 calorie diet through exercising five days a week.
  • 69golfergal
    69golfergal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Doctor or Nutritionist...I would choose the latter. Any diet needs to be sustainable and being too hungry is a set up for failure. If I had 200 lbs to lose I would seek the help of a counselor to get help for behavior modification and impulse control and possible underlying issues. For myself, I feel out of control and unhappy when I'm overweight, losing it feels impowering, I'M in control!

As to exercise, I've never had any luck losing weight without restricting calories. I love to get strong with exercise though. Unfortunately I can't do much more than simple yoga at this time due to some joint issues I'm dealing with.

I wish you well on your journey. Remember, you get to choose who you want to be.