Great Lower ab workout..

Options
I need some great idea for a lower ab workout I can do at home?? Any suggestions?

Replies

• AngieOnTheBeach
    AngieOnTheBeach Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lay down, and lift your legs up. make sure you're using your abs and not momentum though!
    alternatively you can bend your legs like that and lift your tushie up with your abs
    ............ __
    O____|
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    If you have a pull up bar you can do hanging leg raises, you can also sit on the end of a chair and do in and outs
  • BonitaAppleBomb87
    Options
    You can do Mountain Climbers,
    You position your self in the downward dog position same as in yoga and bring your knees into your chest one at a time
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    You position your self in the downward dog position same as in yoga and bring your knees into your chest one at a time

Ooooo I forgot about those. It's also a total body workout as well
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    flutter kicks are good lay down on a bench if you have one and alertane your legs one up one down ten times then hold your feet together for 3 secs. thats one rep. try 60... or you can do the p90x scissors one leg off the ground and one in the air count to three and switch, and there are heels to the heavens too lay flat on your back legs as straight as you can get them and plus your butt up you will feel the burn....;)
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    bump
  • luckyandme
    luckyandme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was looking for suggestions as well...thanks that is one I can defiantly do at home.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred w Jillian Michaels is great for abs....push play, 20 mins long and your done!
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Is it controversial on MFP to say there's no such thing as lower abs? If you your lower abdomen is protruding it's probably excess fat. The muscles that connect your torso run continuously from top to bottom--one on each side, so there is no lower ab muscle. Planks have always worked for me to reduce protrusion, as well as any exercise (kickboxing, tae bo, capoeira) that involves kicking above the waist. Leg raises, etc...are all good exercises, but their really just different ways of working the exact same muscles you work for "upper abs."
  • CapitalE
    CapitalE Posts: 30
    Options
    bump - i need this ish
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Is it controversial on MFP to say there's no such thing as lower abs? If you your lower abdomen is protruding it's probably excess fat. The muscles that connect your torso run continuously from top to bottom--one on each side, so there is no lower ab muscle. Planks have always worked for me to reduce protrusion, as well as any exercise (kickboxing, tae bo, capoeira) that involves kicking above the waist. Leg raises, etc...are all good exercises, but their really just different ways of working the exact same muscles you work for "upper abs."

Actually, you have four major abdominal muscles. Transversus abdominis, rectus abdominis, and the internal and external obliques.

The transverse abdominis has the effect of pulling in what would otherwise be a protruding abdomen (hence its nickname, the “corset muscle"). This is the main muscle being worked in most of the workout recommendations in this thread.

Other more traditional ab workouts (such as crunches) target the rectus abdominis, while engaging the other muscles as secondary.

Don't get me wrong, you still need to lose the fat to make the pooch go away completely, but it does actually play a role in having a flat tummy.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone can explain this much better than I can but one ab workout that I love requires a bosu ball.
    You lie on your back with legs straight and arms straight by your ears.
    You have the ball in your hands then your feet meet your hands at the middle and you transfer the ball to your feet. You slowly lower your legs until they almost touch the ground and then repeat- transferring the ball back to your hands.