Eggplant preparations

Options
What's the best way to prepare eggplant?

Also take into consideration - a picky husband who, though he is getting better, does not like his vegetables. Especially "scary" ones. :ohwell:

Replies

• tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    geez i really want to know this one.

Ahhhh for husbands that wont venture past meat and potatoes!!!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hehe my mother has a theory that all things are better with garlic and cheese... in this case she's right. Eggplant parmasan is great, just go easy on the cheese.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I thought about buying eggplant the other day but had NO idea what I would do with it : )
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Eggplant parmesan *10 thumbs up* just dont forget to salt the eggplant and let it sit for 30 mins!!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Peel, cut into 1" slices ( Circles) sprinkle with salt, Brush both sides with a little olive oil and grill or cook in dry frying pan 2-3 min a side. Top with a little sauce and moz cheese for a low cal, low carb main dish and 2 oz whole wheat pasta or use as a vegetable with a boneless chicken breast. If you have the calories in your goals? After you cut and salt it dip it in flour, then egg whites, and then breadcrumbs. Fry, on med heat, in a little oil until brown on both sides and then the sauce and cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i found a recipe long time ago with extra virgin olive oil and parmesan...my mother used to make it breaded and fried, but since eggplants are sponges for oil, forget that! also, if you have a barbecue, you can roast them, take the peels off after roasting, then mash them with a little bit of oil, salt pepper to taste and use it as a spread. also mix them with veggies and bake them!
  • Lee1957
    Lee1957 Posts: 23
    Options
    Search online for greek receipes with egg plant. Some are the best. Egglplant needs to be sliced put in colondar, salted between each layer and then rinse off and pat dry after about 1 hour. There are many ways to cook it. I cook it like green fried tomatoes and they are wonderful. Good luck. Greek receipes are the best.
  • longtallsam
    longtallsam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds absolutely delicious. I have em in the garden!! thanks for the idea.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh my, if I post my recipe I just may get kicked off of MFP! I slice the eggplant thin, dredge it in flour, egg, then bread crumbs mixed with lots of romano cheese; fry (see, told you so) in oil. When finished sprinkle with more grated romano cheese and put another slice on top. Something about the cheese with the eggplant....yum yum yum!
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ...and the slices with the seeds are actually the best slices.
  • bstilland
    bstilland Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Love grilled veggie wrap...whole wheat tortilla, grilled eggplant, bell peppers, onion, zucchini, garlic, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and feta cheese.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my favourite vegetable along with mushrooms. They are great fried but clearly not ideal if you're watching cals. You can chop them into chunks and roast in oven with red peppers, courgettes and red onion - spray with a tiny bit oil, salt and pepper etc. This can then be mixed in with couscous to make a really nice salad (good for packed lunches) With roasting you should get the melting texture of aubergine which you get when you fry it. Can also use in pasta sauce (if you fried it staright you'd need a LOT of oil!)

You can also stuff them - I mix the filling with chicklpeas, onions peppers etc and then bake in oven.

It's also nice roasted whole in the oven - prick it and roast for 45 minutes at low -medium heat. YOu'll know when it's done - it'll be very floppy. When it's cooled you scrape out the flesh and mix with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and herbs - makes a great dip. I also made this with Asian style herbs and flavourings and needed no oil - something on the lines of this.

http://ediblyasian.info/recipes/nam-prik-num-a-thai-spicy-dip-

good luck - i think it's a love or hate it vegetable. And my favourite way is fried....;(
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 2girlymama
    Options
    my favourite vegetable along with mushrooms. They are great fried but clearly not ideal if you're watching cals. You can chop them into chunks and roast in oven with red peppers, courgettes and red onion - spray with a tiny bit oil, salt and pepper etc. This can then be mixed in with couscous to make a really nice salad (good for packed lunches) With roasting you should get the melting texture of aubergine which you get when you fry it. Can also use in pasta sauce (if you fried it staright you'd need a LOT of oil!)

You can also stuff them - I mix the filling with chicklpeas, onions peppers etc and then bake in oven.

It's also nice roasted whole in the oven - prick it and roast for 45 minutes at low -medium heat. YOu'll know when it's done - it'll be very floppy. When it's cooled you scrape out the flesh and mix with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and herbs - makes a great dip. I also made this with Asian style herbs and flavourings and needed no oil - something on the lines of this.

http://ediblyasian.info/recipes/nam-prik-num-a-thai-spicy-dip-

good luck - i think it's a love or hate it vegetable. And my favourite way is fried....;(

Thanks so much! Very helpful.
  • scarr62
    scarr62 Posts: 4
    Options
    You really need to soak eggplant in salty water for about 30 minutes, if you don't they become a soggy mess. dip in plain yogart and cover with panko pan fry and a light spagetti sauce. Yummy. Or you can also dip in egg whites and parmesan cheese and pan fry as well. Very good
  • shesonic80
    shesonic80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Lasagna - This is a big favorite at my house and very low fat!
    You'll need:
    Hamburger meat, 1 large eggplant, large container of cottage cheese, Kraft fat free cheese, 2 eggs, spaghetti sauce, green peppers, mushrooms, onion

Brown and drain a pound of hamburger
    Add spaghetti sauce, green peppers, onion, mushrooms
    Peel and slice an eggplant in half then make like tomato size slices of each half
    spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray
    put the eggplant on it and spay the eggplant too, then sprinkle salt on it
    bake the slices in the oven until toasty
    get a full container of low fat or fat free cottage cheese and add two eggs and desired spices to it and mix with a fork
    get a casserole dish and spray with cooking spray. line with eggplant
    put meat with sauce and veggies on top
    spoon cottage cheese on top of that (about 6 good spoonfuls on this layer)
    sprinkle some fat free Kraft mozzarella cheese over that
    make a new layer until the dish is full or ingredients are gone.

Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is brown and bubbly.
    let it cool for a while and serve. Should make about 6 good servings.