TRAVEL SNACK EMERGENCY

Options
Please send me ideas for travel food that will help me to stay focussed. I have nuts to nibble on but what else is good for plane time and days at a convention? I leave tomorrow morning and I have not taken time to plan.

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I always try to have some rice crackers, mini protein bars and trail mix in my purse just in case. I find that those are the easiest to take when I travel. I also have a bad habbit of raiding the breakfast bar at the hotel for extra fruit to take with me. Everyone laughs, but I am the only one that is not starving when it comes to lunch time! Oh and by the way, the best investment for me was a LARGE purse!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Beef jerkey is my go to road food. High in protein (and sodium too, but I don't worry about that)
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    CLIF bars are good high energy protein bars for when you're on the go. They taste pretty good too (esp the chocolate chip).
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    carrots and hummus lol
  • KayakingPublicist
    KayakingPublicist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerky -- natural and organic. You can find great turkey jerkey at any co-op or whole foods, natural store. That's great for a "salty" snack and then pick up fruit leather (again, choose the natural organic versions so you're not getting all those toxins) for a sweet treat.
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like veggies or fruits that are good at room temp, like grapes, clemetines or cherry tomatoes. There's also the thinsation that are only 100 cal per bag, there are lots of good flavors
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I bought these individual servings of baby carrots today 35 calories each serving. Rice cakes, trailmix, fruit. Maybe cereal in zip lock bags.
  • lawilliamsva
    Options
    I LOVE the Special K crisps --- easy to bag up into servings, you get a TON for the total calories & they taste great. Good luck! Be sure you have a water bottle with you too --- they don't always have them at conventions, some times it's just pitchers of water.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    popcorn
    pita chips (or any other healthy, low calorie chips)
    fruit cup
    organic fruit gummies or dried fruit
    rice cakes
    trail mix
    fiber one bar/luna or lunar bars/special k bars
    animal crackers or graham crackers

Hope this helped! Happy traveling (:
    btw, a lot of gas stations sell fruit now!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Granny smith apples are my favourite or celery and carrots are perfect when you feel like munching or you think you are hungry b/c you are out of your regular routine.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    fruit
    oatmeal packets...all you need is hot water
    individual packets of peanut butter...add to anything
    granola bars
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Apples travel pretty well. I ALWAYS bring instant oatmeal (plain) for any hotel stay. You can use the coffee cup in the room (some even have paper cups to take coffee to-go) & all you need is hot water from the coffee maker or the refreshment table @ convention.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Eating chipotle, then going for a run right away and not being able to find a toilet at the 2 mile mark? THAT's an emergency.

OMG...this has SOOOOO happened to me.... definitely an emergency (call 911 type). I avoid chipolte like the plague at least 3 days prior to a big run.

for snacks, bring protein powder (mix with water which is widely available at conventions), nuts, granola bars, fruit (apples are good), etc.
  • jodibird
    jodibird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All kinds of fruit, natural beef jerky is great & 99% fat free (low cal and high protein), baby carrots, single serving peanut butter cups, high fiber cereal mixed with freeze dried fruit portioned into small baggies is a great swap for regular high-cal trail mix, i love slimfast chocolate shakes bc they don't need to stay refridgerated, you can just pour them over ice and they taste great, as for bars- many are packed with sugar so you have to be careful, but some I like are Think Thin minis (100 cals each), Kind nut bars (mini or regular sized), and LunaProtien. They are all great for satisfying a sweet tooth and travel very well.

These are my best on the go snacks, hope it helps!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Eating chipotle, then going for a run right away and not being able to find a toilet at the 2 mile mark? THAT's an emergency.
    OMG...this has SOOOOO happened to me.... definitely an emergency (call 911 type). I avoid chipolte like the plague at least 3 days prior to a big run.
    If you want strangers in uniforms to laugh at you and publicly humiliate you, by ALL means call 911 for that "Emergency" I have seen and heard stranger things though...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I just buy a bunch of protein bar type things and throw them in my carry on. Even regular old Clif bars will do, in a pinch.
  • MaxandHenrysMom
    MaxandHenrysMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You've received some great ideas so far. I always pack some fruit. As mom to an allergic toddler who often flies with me, please reconsider taking any kind of nuts to munch on on the plane. Even less allergic nuts like cashews are often roasted in peanut oil.

I do hope you have a great trip!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I forgot "broken condom"- that's an emergency.

Amen to that!

And back to the subject, Fiber One bars or Lara Bars. Small and easy to pack, no cooling or heating necessary, and yum. Just watch out for all that fiber, it can bite you in the.....
  • Terriann7
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the ideas and am heading to the store now. I have been finally seeing the scale move and I don't want to blow it. Travelling is not uncommon for my work but the scale moving is uncommon so trying to keep it between the lines. :P