50 and tired of watching my weight

Options
Hi, I'm 50 yrs old and I've been watching my weight since I was a teenager. Never been overweight until the last 10 years or so though. I'm just so tired of the whole business. I think that's why I can't get these 20lbs to budge. I'm just sick of counting calories and exercising!! I sometimes want to throw in the towel altogether and say @#$%^ it!! At what age can you give up? I remember thinking when I was in my 30's, "When I turn 50, I'm not gonna fight it anymore. If I get fat, I get fat." Now I'm 50 and I'm not ready to get any heavier, but I'm also tired of working at it and the thought that I'm going to have to do this for the rest of my life makes me exceedingly grumpy.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling. The biggest success I had with weight loss was when I purchased a food scale and committed to logging everything that passed my lips accurately. (I'm 44, so not far behind you!)

Check out these threads. They contain great info!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @quicksylver296 Thanks, I'll give these a read.
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, by now you should know what your TDEE is and calories you need in to maintain. Not sure if you have to track to stay honest. I’ve switched to macro counting now in maintenance and have slowly added calories back. I feel I have a lot more options with macros then I did with total calories. But unfortunately, either way...you can’t do it unless your focused on it. Find the happy medium. If you give up, the weight may come back on.
  • MezArcher
    MezArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am with you I am 27 and I have tried everything and I have been loging for 3 years and a constant everyday crossfit goer but I keep gaining weight none of my cloths fit and I feel mentally disturb by my fat.. it occupys my every thought.. I want to give up it seems there is no option other then fat for me... I log around 1,100cals aday may some times go to 1500 but I gradullly gain.... some times fat gain weight
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I have felt like that..minus wanting get fat and accept it. But I did feel like I had used up all my will power for my life. My desire to lose weight was just not there. Then, last year late December... I got the motivation to lose my weight. and.. I did.. it has been wonderful.
    Yet.. I don't count calories.. I find it a drag and it takes the fun out of food. I realize many and most here love it.. but I just don't and it wore me out..and I lost and gained 10 to 15 pounds for years counting them..never got to my goal weight.

I suggest you don't give up... try a new approach.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    combsshan wrote: »
    ...I'm also tired of working at it and the thought that I'm going to have to do this for the rest of my life makes me exceedingly grumpy.

62 here and lifelong yoyo working again on the last 8 or so pounds: I can identify with this feeling. BUT: you don't HAVE to do this, you CHOOSE to. You can certainly give up working on health / fitness anytime you want. You aren't ready to get heavier, you say. So own that choice and its consequences.

Heard it said on here: losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,945 Member
    Options
    combsshan wrote: »
    I'm just sick of counting calories and exercising!!

Sick of exercising????? :open_mouth:

Maybe you need to find something you like doing. :)

I'm also in my early 50s but have been sidelined for the moment and I'm itching to get back into the game. "The game" for me is cycling, walking, running, hiking, weightlifting, canoeing, rowing at the gym, etc. I enjoy those things.

• combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your support guys. I know it's a choice and that both losing weight and being too heavy is hard. @elisa123gal --how are you losing weight if you're not tracking calories? @Machka9 -- I used to love to walk, but I've developed really bad plantar faciitis and can't do that any longer. I also have fibromyalgia (had it for 15 years) so a lot of exercise options are out for me because they make it flair up. Walking and yoga were my go to, now it's walking and riding the stationary bike (boring). I'm too big a chicken to ride a bike out on the road and there's not a biking path anywhere close to where I live. I guess I've just got to decide what I want more.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I dusted off my old six week body makeover personalized book last January. It is a metabolism diet where you eat six times a day... you pair protein with vegetables and complex carbs or fruit. Gosh.. I eat all day long (every 2.5 to 3 hours).. and I lost 40 pounds last year..and most of it all by February...and the last bit in March. I loved it.. It worked for me twice before years ago....but I went to counting calories on here, because I wanted to eat anything I wanted.. meaning processed foods..breads.... But.. the counting the calories never worked for me.. I 'd just go up and down ten pounds..get burned out... and start all over again later.

Now that I'm older.. I realize this is the way to eat for life for me.. I feel free and I focus on all the things I can eat not what I can't. Also.. I eat out and go off my plan now that I've lost.....I just jump back on my plan when I regain.