Soft in the middle

Options
I’m getting down close to my goal weight (5-10 more lbs) and am really happy with how I’m looking...except for my stomach. I hold most of my weight there and new this would be a problem area, but while I’m seeing a big difference in my arms and legs, my midsection still seems quite soft.

I am unsure if it’s simply a lack of muscle definition that will come with time, or if my goal weight needs to be lower than I originally thought.

If it is lack of muscle, I’ve seen two schools of thought on how to beat train your core and am unsure which would be best. Do you do ab isolation exercises or simply engage your core as you work other muscle groups?

I’m 5’7”, currently around 152 lbs (goal weight 140-145). I generally work out 5-6 days a week doing mostly weight lifting. I’m not looking to have washboard abs or anything, just to looks a little less fluffy.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    The "fluff" is body fat.. and possibly loose skin too if you were a lot heavier. Exercises don't "spot reduce" the fat and skin layers, so keep losing overall. Like you noticed, the central fat is often the last to go. Since you lift weights, your ab muscles are firm & well-developed, so they're not the issue. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get to 145 and then decide, you probably still have sone fat to lose.

Do you currently strength train?
  • rosileem
    rosileem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I myself have lost quite a bit of weight (gained some back and in the process of finding a healthy spot) and I have the same “tummy” spot. Definitely favouriting this convo for tips!

I ~try~ (to remember lol) that planks help (something like 30 sec holds, 10 reps) and I include weight work that involves holding the weights above my head.

I also remember it can take years to really see a lasting change (esp in ab area) and sometimes it’s good to have the soft spot there! :smile:
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I’m not touting spot reduction in saying this, but I’ve been waist hooping for my cardio. Not only does it burn a generous amount of calories, but you really have to work your abs hard to keep the hoop up. My abs get very sore afterwards.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad strength training is probably how I spend 75% of my time in the gym. Out of my 5-6 days a week exercising, 4-5 of them are strength training
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight in my midsection as well. I've been as low as 11% BF (calipers, so TIFWIW) and the tester could barely pinch my chest or thigh, but still had noticeable fat in my midsection.

I've found 2 things...

1 - What I thought was my goal weight was, in fact, NOT my goal weight. I could stand to lose noticeably more weight than I had originally thought.

2 - I need more muscle mass, otherwise I just look skinny.

What you're saying about yourself sounds like what I think about myself... so maybe my experiences are relevant to your situation. But maybe not.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jellis432 wrote: »
    @TavistockToad strength training is probably how I spend 75% of my time in the gym. Out of my 5-6 days a week exercising, 4-5 of them are strength training

then you'll have to see how taking another 10lbs off affects it. good luck!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Just do some ab exercises, you'll develop a strong abdominal, do some sidebends to make your side core strong, it's very effective and has helped me functionally in my weekly jogs holding me up and staving off abdominal cramps.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am closer to my goal weight and my stomach is the only area I’m still not happy with. Some of it is fat and some is just excess skin from being a mom three times. I don’t want to lose more than another 5-6 lbs so I just keep working out and eating only slight deficit. I think the skin will improve a little over time but unfortunately it’s never going to be as pretty as it was twenty years ago.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I have a very strong core from all the rowing that I do. But if I gain weight, it goes to my face and my gut first. Even if you have a very strong core, if that's where your weight goes first (or comes off last), there's nothing you can do but lose a few more pounds.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Figured I'd resurrect this thread as I'm at my goal weight (hovering between 138-142), which puts my BMI smack dab in the middle of the healthy range. My stomach is pretty flat, but definitely still a little fluffy looking so I'm still unsure as to whether I need to lose more weight or if it's something that will just take a little time to change.
  • durhman4
    durhman4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cut back on refined carbs and sugar. Also watch sodium intake. This will help with belly bloating. Strengthen both abs and back by doing both static and isometric exercises. (ie. planks for static, crunches, seated twists for abs and obliques; and bird dogs or back extensions for back.) You will not only define your core, but fend off back issues. Suggest doing exercises every other day
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Congrats on your success! Your remaining 5-10 lbs can make A LOT of difference in your midsection. Get to your goal, then decide. You are definitely in a healthy weight range for your height.