What exercise program do you follow, if any?

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Hi there,
I am really getting bored with my exercise program. Same old cardio, usually on the treadmill, and the same old strength training exercises. Do you follow a certain program that is giving you great results? When I say program I mean one from a popular trainer such Jorge Cruise etc... I even signed up for the national body challenge to get a free pass to Bally's and after 3 wks of using the gym I already got bored with it...I'd rather workout at home or in my neighborhood and not have to deal with the gym crowd. I just need to change my program a little bit so I don't get bored and my body responds better to it... Thanks!!! Annette :happy:

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am really getting bored with my exercise program. Same old cardio, usually on the treadmill, and the same old strength training exercises. Do you follow a certain program that is giving you great results? When I say program I mean one from a popular trainer such Jorge Cruise etc... I even signed up for the national body challenge to get a free pass to Bally's and after 3 wks of using the gym I already got bored with it...I'd rather workout at home or in my neighborhood and not have to deal with the gym crowd. I just need to change my program a little bit so I don't get bored and my body responds better to it... Thanks!!! Annette :happy:
  • nicole0177
    Options
    i usually switch up up depending on the day i usually go to the gym. I usually do 30 mins of strength training and 45 minutes of cardio switching between the treadmill, elipticle, or running the track. Or if im bored with that i go buy a fun dance cardio video to they have tons of them out that are fun and burn tons of calories and you can do it in the comfort of your own home.
  • thewelch_family
    Options
    I have been doing Taebo at home. I really enjoy it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have to switch it up all the time. Swimming, yoga, bike, elliptical, treadmill, Turbo Jam (DVD), home exercise (like crunches, lunges, bellydance DVD, walking in the neighborhood.) I found also if you don't switch up your routine, your muscles become efficient at the one or two things you do, and weight plateaus are inevitable.

And MUSIC - you have to have music - MP3 players are cheap, for $30-40 you can take along your favorite music or books on tape.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have a home gym of sorts with a tread mill, ski machine, free weights, exercise ball and work stations. Right now I'm stuck with the exercise ball, ski machine and some leg lifts because of a recent surgery but I'm doing alright with what I do and I do mix up my routine quite a bit.

Normally I'm on a 7 day work out schedule right now focusing on putting everything back in shape. Each day I do 45 minutes on the ski machine and multiple ab reps on the ball. I will eventually be able to focus each day on a different part of my body like arms, chest, back, etc. Each day I also do front and rear leg lifts. On any given day when I get the go ahead from the doctor and can skip the ski machine I'll do a full body workout with weights.

I've done this before when I was in my peak running form so I have worked something out over the years. I would suggest surfing the web to seek out exercise routines that shape and tone your body.

Now that I'm locked into using the ski machine and can no longer run I do miss the changing scenery and solitude of running alone. Today I've adjusted reluctantly to watching DVD's while I work out but they only keep me occupied for so long.

I do know what you're going through but it's not something that can be answered by the rest of us but something that you'll have to struggle through to get something that works for and with you.

Keep plodding along everything will click into place soon. Bob
  • alf1163
    Options
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!! I love posting here because you guys reply quickly and with wonderful ideas!!! I will keep you posted... :flowerforyou:
  • CeciDiTullio
    Options
    Hi, have you tried Zumba, its great!!! It is a combination of aerobics with latin and caribbean dances... You should try it if you like dancing. It burns many calories. You can buy the DVDs online. I bought it on Ebay and I really love it. :smooched: Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm so easily bored it's not funny -especially at the gym. Mine has televisions to watch so I try to concentrate on reading the scrolling text while doing the cardio - which is the most boring bit.

I have a set schedule, set around ballet classes that I take elsewhere:

Monday - Ballet class (warm up beforehand at home)
    Tuesday - gym - usually 25 min cardio on the elliptical - the only thing that doesn't bore me to tears, then 30-45 mins weights working EITHER upper body or lower body (not both)
    Wednesday - pre-pointe class (euphemism for a really intensive back and stomach strengthening conditioning workout!), then a break, then regular ballet class
    Thursday OR Friday - gym, working the other part of the body on weights
    One of those two days, I do no workout - break time
    Saturday - pointe class (ballet), then sometimes the gym, usually only for swimming
    Sunday - workout as for Tuesday, depending on other things like family visits, etc.

I tend to switch one of those for swimming if I can't be bothered to do a proper gym workout. Means a soak in the jacuzzi afterward, which I love!! :wink:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Is Zumba high or low impact? If low, I might take it up, as they're starting a class up at my school. With one day a week available to me, like Thursday, I could take the class.
  • lolakey
    Options
    I get bored at the gym too.

I downloaded free podcasts to my ipod. I listen to This American Life, Car Talk, and The New Yorker fiction. One episode is about an hour and as long as they are not repeats, the time just flies by. There are a ton of free stuff out there.

I hope that helps you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I get bored at the gym too.

I downloaded free podcasts to my ipod. I listen to This American Life, Car Talk, and The New Yorker fiction. One episode is about an hour and as long as they are not repeats, the time just flies by. There are a ton of free stuff out there.

I hope that helps you.

For those of us who have bucked the trend, and bought Zen (or any other brand MP3 player) do you know if the podcasts you use are iPod only??
  • stewakd
    Options
    I do the Les Mills Body Attack exercise at the local gym on M W TH + Sat. It is a 50min high impact aerobic exercise with some upper body work/Abs and cool down for 10min. I have been told you can lose up to 1200 calories in one session.
  • lolakey
    Options
    I'm not sure ... sorry. I discovered the podcasts after I got my ipod.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I got the Biggest Loser Workout DVD. Wow. Its a great workout, intense! It covers everything, and you alternate between 6 workouts, so there really isn't any boredom. I also walk everyday, after a while I change my path and discover a new part of my neighborhood.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I got the Biggest Loser Workout DVD. Wow. Its a great workout, intense! It covers everything, and you alternate between 6 workouts, so there really isn't any boredom. I also walk everyday, after a while I change my path and discover a new part of my neighborhood.
  • sdouglas
    Options
    Try Turbo Jam- With the birth of my daughter, it's hard to get to the gym-there are alot of videos to change it up a bit too. Good luck.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    "podcast" is just a phrase - they usually are in MP3 format, which are playable on any device.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I follow my own program, but when it's super-awful-icky outside and I just CAN'T bring myself to get on an elliptical, I use FitTV workouts for cardio. They are available on tv, but also on the web. They have stuff from 10 min yoga to 40 min butt-kicking cardio. You can download the programs and if you have a blank DVD or burner you could make your own compilation of workouts. :)
  • conny1967
    Options
    P90X, really intense and you do something different everyday. The ab workout is a killer and I often have to pause the dvd to try and make the reps. It works have dropped 16 lbs since the 29th of Dec. When I first started the program, at times I thought I would die, still some moves that give me a little trouble but my strength has definitely improved and my flexibility is unbelievable. Never figured I was that flexible.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Body for Life workouts. It's a whole program with nutrition as well but I'm just following the workout routine.

You do it for 3 months. It's a program where you workout 6 days a week alternating strength training and cardio. You mix up different exercises for your strength training and pick whatever you want for your cardio.

I got all the stuff for free off their website and I'm seeing great results. The first week I was so sore! Now I'm really feeling the muscles starting to build up.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/weighttraining.asp

Jessica