Snacking Suggestions

Options
We all like a snack. And for me, I like them to be quick and readily accessible, so I can grab something for on the go or to get me through the 3 pm lull in work.

I've recently been love love loving dried fruit - dried mango, dried apricots, dates. But their sugar content is just so g.d. high! They're so delicious, but I'm starting to think that for such a small amount I get to eat in a portion, it is just not worth going over my daily sugar goal for (which is too easy to do SMH).

I know nuts are an excellent snack, but I really don't enjoy eating them.

Any favourite snacks out there? Inspiration needed!!

Replies

• ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Agree w/ PP that unless you have a medical reason I wouldn’t fret over sugar intake.

That said, if it really bugs you, you could slow-bake your own fruits or look into a dehydrator. Many commercial dried fruits are totally coated in added sugar (especially mango and papaya) which is unnecessary, because they are delicious on their own.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Currently I always have a large bowl of steamed root vegetables in my fridge - put it in a container and snack on the go
    Also rice wafer with tomato and a little pepper
  • nationalvillage3215
    Options
    I have recently got into vegetable chips. Carrots: Mix one bag of match stick carrots with spray oil, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper - Roast at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, was yummy. I am currently making Brussel Sprout chips: Thinly slice 1/2 lb. brussel sprouts, mix with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and spray oil. Bake in 250 degree oven on wire rack placed in a rimmed baking sheet until golden and crispy. You can eat both at room temperature.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    My go to snack has become Dannon Light 'n Fit Greek yogurt, vanilla whey protein powder, and chopped walnuts. It is fairly portable.

But, what I love about it is that it is offers good protein and good fat content. AND it is very adjustable depending the the number of calories I have to work with by altering the number of tablespoons of protein and walnuts that I add. If I am at home and have extra calories, I also add fresh strawberries ... it is a real treat and it almost feels like eating a sundae!
  • sarahlouryan95
    sarahlouryan95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have recently got into vegetable chips. Carrots: Mix one bag of match stick carrots with spray oil, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper - Roast at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, was yummy. I am currently making Brussel Sprout chips: Thinly slice 1/2 lb. brussel sprouts, mix with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and spray oil. Bake in 250 degree oven on wire rack placed in a rimmed baking sheet until golden and crispy. You can eat both at room temperature.

Sounds delicious! I must try these out, thanks for sharing!
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Beef jerky is great. Though if you have a concern with sugar content in dried fruit you might have the same concern with sodium in jerky. Seasoned popcorn is a favorite of mine as well. Pretzel sticks are great because a serving size is actually a bit more than you might think and is typically 100-120 calories depending on the brand
  • CassieJBaker
    CassieJBaker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For snacking, I like low fat mozzarella string cheese & low fat cottage cheese (with or without fruit), hardboiled eggs, homemade popcorn, dried apricots, & roasted almonds.
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yogurt or rice pudding with cut up fresh fruit such as strawberries, bananas, or pineapple; cottage cheese; Laughing Cow cheese on celery.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My top 3 are:

Cottage cheese 1%
    Power crunch triple chocolate
    Grape tomatoes with 1-2oz of extra sharp cheese or any cheese basically
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently been mixing 2 oz of plain Greek yogurt with 1/2 tsp of ranch seasoning and dipping carrots into it.

I also love triscuits and sharp cheddar.
  • Jeeplet18
    Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    my favorite snack here lately have been carrots(??) Why, I am not sure because that is suuuper lame, but i've been dipping them in light ranch dressing, hummus or guacamole & its been a satisfying, crunchy mid day snack that is easy for me to pack to take to work. Also, I always keep string cheese and hardboiled eggs in my fridge to grab for a quick snack with protein.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't snack most of the time but I do usually enjoy a bowl of popcorn on the weekend. IMO the only popcorn really worth eating is white kernel corn. The common yellow stuff is too chewy.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with sliced banana and chia seeds :smiley:
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt with apple or banana, honey and cinammon
    Turkey slice roll with cream cheese
  • Smores_24
    Smores_24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sesame rice crackers and cheese; sugar free chocolate pudding with half a banana; or a veggie bag (I make 5-6 at a time so they're ready to go)
  • brett553
    brett553 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Agree w/ PP that unless you have a medical reason I wouldn’t fret over sugar intake.

That said, if it really bugs you, you could slow-bake your own fruits or look into a dehydrator. Many commercial dried fruits are totally coated in added sugar (especially mango and papaya) which is unnecessary, because they are delicious on their own.

Get a dehydrator!!! Kiwi, banana, apple, pineapple anything you can think of. All great for snacks on the go👍

Also egg muffins https://livelytable.com/make-ahead-broccoli-cheddar-egg-cups/ add in jalapenos, red pepper or any veg you like. Great for breakfast or post workout snack.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dried goldenberries do not have added sugar, they are more tart than sweet. I love them!! They are my new go to snack.
  • ogma6
    ogma6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use raw almonds as my go-to snack. I pack them up in little 1 oz. Servings, and sprinkle in a little cinnamon. Always keep one in my work backpack and a few in the house. Just in case.