When do people notice when you have lost weight?

Options
I am just curious when you have lost weight when do people notice. I am down 30 pounds from 267 and yet not a single person outside my family has said something. So, I am curious how much did you have to lose before someone had said something.

Replies

• kathleenford04
    kathleenford04 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great question. I lost 30 pounds and no one said anything, then lately I’ve lost nothing and had two different people say “have you lost a ton of weight lately?” I’ve been exercising, so maybe I just have more tone? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fifty five pounds before the first comment. Eighty five before the second.

I chalk this up to having well-mannered friends too discreet to be going around commenting on people's bodies. At least, that seems like the most positive interpretation :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    For me, they noticed it when I was almost at goal. So funny..because while you're losing it is so obvious to you..but others don't see it..and you almost wonder why in the heck are you not complimenting me! lol.
  • RKIANA2018
    RKIANA2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me I had several people tell me I lost weight. I had only lost 8 pounds. Yet it was quite noticeable in my clothes.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    It can be a taboo subject to bring up. Sometimes people lose weight due to a medical condition that they have. If I know the person is dieting and exercising and we are discussing it in detail, then that might be an appropriate time to mention it. Even then, a "you look great!" is the safe way to go. Your family might be thinking it in their head, maybe even discussing it with other family members, but you have the facts in front of you. You've lost 30 lbs and should feel very proud of yourself. This is for you.

I'll second this. I had someone bring it up at work after I'd lost 30, and the way they framed it made it seem very much like they noticed a lot earlier, but they were unsure if it was appropriate to bring up.
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Age 49
    5’4”
    SW 225+
    CW 171

Some people noticed after I lost about 20-25, especially once I replaced too-big clothes with more current styles and better-fitting shirts

More people now that I’ve lost over 50, my jeans size has gone from 22 to 12

Funniest story, I have a 23 year old daughter who lives away at college and worked out of state over the summer. We saw her frequently during the school year, but only briefly on 1 day between Memorial Day and mid-August. About two weeks after she got home she was wondering “What’s different about Mom?” 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    After I lost my first 20 pounds, my mother asked me if I was pregnant.

At 65 pounds, most people thought I was lying that I had lost anything at all (when they overheard conversations I was having with others).

At 75 pounds, those same people thought I was deathly ill because I’d lost “so fast”

At 85 pounds, I was “too thin” (I was JUST at the top of the “healthy” BMI range and still quite fluffy).

YMMV.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I've lost 40 so far and people really didn't start saying anything until right around 30 but it definitely picked up the closer I got to 40! Most of the time it's running into someone that I haven't seen in a few months- not so much the people I see daily/weekly.

ETA:
    5'5''
    SW: 208
    CW: 167
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Whether anyone comments on your weight loss or not and regardless of what they say it is in no way an accurate indication of your progress. If you read through the threads here you'll see a lot of people report very negative, rude comments about their weight loss. Don't worry about what others say or don't say.

If someone compliments you, great. But there will also be others who say thoughtless things so either way, don't assign emotion to any of those comments. How do YOU feel? That's the only opinion that matters.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Commenting on another's weight is one of the riskiest topics anyone can bring up.

No one can know how another will feel about their weight being noticed in the first place.

Lose the weight for YOUR satisfaction. It's meaningless to anyone else. They're not lugging the extra pounds around.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    -40 when I first got comments, but I’m pretty sure they noticed before. Sometimes people are reluctant to say anything for fear of offending.
    I hadn’t told anyone that I was trying to lose weight. Too many times of “oh well, I’ll start over again tomorrow “. Problem was, tomorrow never came.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Im 30 pounds down from my most recent starting weight. I've had 3 people say something.
    I honestly feel so awkward when they do, I rather it wasn't mentioned.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    In the last year, I've lost 20kg...ish, down 41kg overall. It's only been recently (~December/Jan) that people at work started noticing. I attribute to the above mentioned "do I say anything" hesitation as well as the fact that I've started dressing better / for my new size. Instead of hiding behind giant sweaters and coats and stuff, I'm dressing with more confidence -- which I think attributes to the notice.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    When I went from 307 to 270 I felt so accomplished and I looked much better and my mom was literally the only person who seemed to notice or comment. BUT that happened very slowly over several years.

When I went from 270 to 200, everyone I came into contact commented. Not just once or twice, but every 10 lb. It was flattering and irritating at the same time, to be honest. This may be partly because it happened rather quickly by my definition, over about 9 months' time.

Going from roughly 199 down to the 160-170s where I have maintained, few people commented.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    People tend to notice it faster on me (10-15 lb range) because one of the first places I lose weight is in my face... wish it could be my gut but it isn't.

Basically, unless you are spending a lot of time around close friends or family, it's a taboo subject and people just don't bring it up.