vegan + newly hypothyroid = HELP!

Options
Okay, so I'm in an interestingly tragic situation. I've been vegetarian for 9 years now, vegan for 1. As a vegan I'm an expert at getting all my protein, vitamins, etc. However, less than a month ago I discovered that I am hypothyroid (at my annual gyno appointment, of all places! just another reminder, ladies, these are very important!) and I'm only 26. So far, I've learned this is probably because if you have a genetic predisposition for thyroid problems (/many/ in my family are hypo or hyper) and have a long term diet in soy and leafy greens, it can be the catalyst.

So at any rate. I am now at a loss for protein sources since I do not eat meat (don't even suggest it, it is for hightly ethical reasons that i will /not/ change) and now cannot eat soy. Am I doomed to a life of excessive beans and nuts? Anyone know of some super secret protein source that I am unaware of?

And as an aside, yes, this is why I've gained over 10 pounds in the last several months as my hypothyroidism apparently developed, hypO is the one that slows your metabolism waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Sweet.

Replies

• iclimbmountains
    Options
    Okay, so I'm in an interestingly tragic situation. I've been vegetarian for 9 years now, vegan for 1. As a vegan I'm an expert at getting all my protein, vitamins, etc. However, less than a month ago I discovered that I am hypothyroid (at my annual gyno appointment, of all places! just another reminder, ladies, these are very important!) and I'm only 26. So far, I've learned this is probably because if you have a genetic predisposition for thyroid problems (/many/ in my family are hypo or hyper) and have a long term diet in soy and leafy greens, it can be the catalyst.

So at any rate. I am now at a loss for protein sources since I do not eat meat (don't even suggest it, it is for hightly ethical reasons that i will /not/ change) and now cannot eat soy. Am I doomed to a life of excessive beans and nuts? Anyone know of some super secret protein source that I am unaware of?

And as an aside, yes, this is why I've gained over 10 pounds in the last several months as my hypothyroidism apparently developed, hypO is the one that slows your metabolism waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Sweet.
  • ibcausa
    Options
    There are lots of protein sources other than soy or beans or nuts. Maybe not as dense but it just means you need to eat a lot of different foods that have smaller amounts of protein. Oatmeal, broccoli, peas, brown rice and other whole grains are some examples. Check out this link - it has some good information about your protein needs and some protein sources: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Good luck!
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has these awesome pre-cooked black lentils, lots of protien... also, check on the internet for recipes to make your own seitan. It is a type of meat substitute entirely made out of wheat, and very high in protien.
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to soy? I eat tons of soy and have hypothyroid.

I was a vegetarian for about 8 or 10 years. I had health reasons that led me back to eating meat but not my thyroid. I am hypothyroid but my reason was the workout intesity I was at was basically causing my body to consume itself since I couldn't get enough protein from vegetable sources.

In my opinion Hypothyroid is really not a big deal once your medication level is correct and has had time to get your system up to speed. It is a huge pain that can cause all kinfds of issues until then. I take Synthroid which is the most common medication for this. It replaces the hormone that your body is not producing enough of. I have had this issue since I was about 16. Getting the right dosage can be a trial and error sort of ordeal. Hang in there. You'll get on track.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm HYPERthyroid. Don't understand why you can't have soy. I've never heard of that. Do some research.
  • iclimbmountains
    Options
    Are you allergic to soy? I eat tons of soy and have hypothyroid.

I'd be careful with that. I have done a lot of research, and there are A LOT of studies now pointing to the idea that diets high in soy can increase the risk and symptoms of thyroid disease, especially hypothyroidism.

Here are two articles on the internet:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm
    http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

The endocrinologist I see also recommends greatly reducing the amount of soy I eat if not altogether, and not eating soy 4 hours before or after taking my thyroid medication. That first link explains why.
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i agree with you on the soy...i have read articles about it and thyroid...i have been a vegetarian for 18 years and eat a lot of soy too...i know you will find other things out there to give you your protein...i applaud you for being vegan...my heart keeps pushing me in that direction, but i just haven't been able to get there yet...there are a couple of vegan/vegetarian threads on here...maybe you could ask your question again there...good luck to you and blessings to you for making the choice to be vegan...
  • shannan74
    shannan74 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I found out I have hypothyroidism when I was thirty and have consistently gained 10 lbs a year since. I hope you have better luck than me.
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    Seitan! Unless you have issues with wheat. Seitan is not necessarily low calorie, but the protein stats are through the roof. You can maximize that by making bean burgers mixed with wheat gluten as a binder. Do you have "Veganomicon"? There's an awesome recipe for bean balls using kidney beans + gluten and black bean burgers. Lentils are going to be your best friend, I think.

Also, do you have anything against protein powder? Hemp or brown rice protein powder are both vegan. I find they both have an awful taste but if I throw it in a smoothie with some stevia or agave nectar, it gets better.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    quinoa, for a grain, is very high in protein (and amino acids) and spinach is a veggie that is also high in protein (40% protein per calorie unit).
  • miasuperstar
    Options

I love your profile photo!! Did you see this tree? its so cool, looks like a woman dancing.
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bean balls??...i am laughing...will have to check that recipe out!!!...but, what do you eat bean balls with??...are they eaten in a sauce like a meat person would eat meatballs???...you have my full attention on this one!!!!!...blessings to all, joan
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    bean balls??...i am laughing...will have to check that recipe out!!!...but, what do you eat bean balls with??...are they eaten in a sauce like a meat person would eat meatballs???...you have my full attention on this one!!!!!...blessings to all, joan

hi joan! bean balls are to be used anywhere you'd use traditionally meatballs - in pasta, on a sub, by themselves with sauce, etc. my favorite way is to put them on top of spaghetti squash with sauteed mushroom, wilted spinch and homemade pasta sauce.
  • iclimbmountains
    Options
    I love your profile photo!! Did you see this tree? its so cool, looks like a woman dancing.

To be perfectly honest, I found it on the internet :blushing: but it's great isn't it?! BUT the picture on my 'pounds lost' marker I definitely took! It's of the Three Sister's mountains in the Cascade Range of central Oregon.

But THANK YOU to everyone who's made suggestions and offered support! I don't know why I didn't think of all these things earlier, I've been eating this stuff for years and I guess I just forgot how much protein was in all of them!

Thanks for being so supportive!!!! :flowerforyou: