Bro split help

Options
So I finally decided to hire a personal trainer, figured I was reading a lot and not really using any of the information I was learning. Anyway he told me the best workout for me to begin with is a 5 day split, focusing on one body part per day.

I’m confused by this since most of the research I have done says that this is the least effective method for a newbie in the gym, and could possibly lead to muscle imbalances.

Is this sort of split the best option for me, or did the trainer intentionally choose a program that will take longer in the hopes that I will need his services longer?

Replies

• d3e4
    d3e4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don’t know all the factors involved with your situation but I wouldn’t be TOO worried about the 5 day thing. Does he have you doing any cardio? What are your goals? Weight loss? To gain muscle?
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You trainer would be the best one to get advice from. But yeah i know there is some S*%T trainers out there that think there is only one way there way. Make sure he's not doing one size fits all because everyone is different and your plan should be custom to you. But i don't see anything wrong with split like everything it has its good and bad
  • inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I’m going to stick to it and see how it goes.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    Options
    post back for a update let us know how it goes. good luck
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You could always get the opinion of another trainer and decide from there what you like best.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Don't fall into the trap of searching for the perfect optimal program. The 0.2% advantage is out weighed by just getting in the gym and lifting heavy stuff.

I think this is an important point, and one that often gets lost on MFP as we argue to see who knows more.

While I agree that it's probably not the most ideal, it's WAAAAAY more ideal than not doing anything, and probably significantly more ideal than just winging it each time you walk into the gym. If you like the routine and click with the trainer, then go with it... bro splits can certainly work. If not, then ask him about it, or get a different trainer.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Also, were you planning on going to the gym 5 days per week? Is it feasible with your schedule? I agree with trying it and see how it goes. If you need to change things up then clearly state your goals again to your trainer and see if they are adaptable and can suggest another plan. If not, you may need to try someone else.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I’m confused by this since most of the research I have done says that this is the least effective method for a newbie in the gym, and could possibly lead to muscle imbalances.

It wouldn't necessarily lead to imbalances, but it greatly increases the risk of overuse injuries for a new lifter, since you do far more reps per bodypart at each workout. The exception is if you start with very light weights the first few weeks (which is unlikely). A 2- or 3-day split could work, but few reputable newbie programs use a 5-day split, which is more for advanced bodybuilders.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

It wouldn't necessarily lead to imbalances, but it greatly increases the risk of overuse injuries for a new lifter, since you do far more reps per bodypart at each workout. The exception is if you start with very light weights the first few weeks (which is unlikely). A 2- or 3-day split could work, but few reputable newbie programs use a 5-day split, which is more for advanced bodybuilders.

Ditto...
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »

... also, one of the reasons people keep saying it's for "advanced lifters" is that most advanced lifters who have been lifting for many years (with proper nutrition and programming) are near their genetic limits and aren't adding or trying to add significant amounts of mass to their base. They are more interested in maintaining what they have and shaping it. It's why a lot of these types of splits have you, for example, hitting the biceps from many different angles and use so many variations targeting the same muscles. They also tend to be heavily into isolation type lifts. This kind of programming is not going to be anywhere close to optimal for a new lifter who is lacking that muscular base.

Also ditto...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your trainer. I wouldn't ascribe ulterior motives to him but either 1) he knows more than you and you should commit to following his advice or 2) he's not the right fit for you. I haven't seen many 5 days splits discussed on MFP, but that approach isn't really my cup of tea so I would be less likely to read the thread. I like to alternate strength with cardio days for swimming or biking. Hope you can get it figured out.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Well, you now have a trainer so I assume you’re committed to his/her guidance. If it doesn’t work for you, consider the “old school” guidance of the late and great Tommy Kono. His Kono Plan workout is explained here - scroll down to the red bolded text:

https://pierini-fitness.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-tommy-kono-speaks-wise-men-listen.html?m=1
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Bro splits are not appealing if your goals revolve around balance, symmetry, completeness, etc.; mainly neglecting the lower body. 50% of your body should be much higher priority than (often) one single leg session per week; depending on your exercise tolerance/training frequency, one should have 2-3 leg sessions/week. Make sure your PT understands what your goal is exactly (could just be under the wrong impression...although I find circumstances for favoring bro splits quite rare & questionable).

Agreed with others; general consensus is to hit the entire body 2X per week with many different variations/splits to accommodate your schedule/lifestyle (push-pull-legs, PHAT, Full body, Upper-Lower, etc.).

I personally sequence pull-legs-push-legs (repeat exact sequence) to fit in 3 leg sessions/week & like this approach mainly because I enjoy doing a large variety of exercises per session (upper-lower is too overwhelming for me to cover an upper day; full body is also too overwhelming for me since I would likely have to rotate exercises session to session & run into issues with rest days/recovery & training frequency/work schedule balance issues- same old exercises just becoming boring to me after lifting 20+ years yet I like having some consistency session to session)
  • inherentst0rm
    Options
    So I decided to not work with the trainer anymore after I discussed my concerns with him. Also telling him that a workout I could fit in maybe 3 times a week, like a full body may fit my needs and level of time that I am able to commit to the gym. He told me to just do the workouts on the days that I can, which to me sounds like he is telling me it’s okay to do each body part less than one day a week?

Anyway I need to figure out how to get out of my agreement without having to pay a massive amount of money since I went through LA fitness and they are impossible to cancel any training with.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    So I decided to not work with the trainer anymore after I discussed my concerns with him. Also telling him that a workout I could fit in maybe 3 times a week, like a full body may fit my needs and level of time that I am able to commit to the gym. He told me to just do the workouts on the days that I can, which to me sounds like he is telling me it’s okay to do each body part less than one day a week?

Anyway I need to figure out how to get out of my agreement without having to pay a massive amount of money since I went through LA fitness and they are impossible to cancel any training with.

Yah that sounds just super crappy on his part. Will LA Fitness not let you work with another trainer or something? Seems to me like you have a very valid concern/complaint with this particular trainer.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness is a bit clingy...was a member (Bally transition, got huge discount/great monthly rates). Had great equipment (nautilus lat pullover machine, shoulder pad hack squat, standing calf raise machine, other gems, etc.), no issues whatsoever at their locations but never did any personal training. Canceled my membership due to moving to a location without LA fitness; staff immediately wanted to know if I was displeased and/or why cancelling. To this day, I'm still getting emails asking me to rejoin! lmfao
  • jasonpoihegatama
    Options
    Any

Sorry your PT didn't produce the goods!! I see your point he put you on a five day program to start and now says just do three days of the five day program not cool... Are you doing the full body workouts now? I would see the manager and see if yous can come to agreement pay for his time? Not sure how that will go?
  • inherentst0rm
    Options
    So far nothing, all the trainers seem to subscribe to the same theory. Apparently it’s. 12 month contract with a trainer so I HAVE to keep paying, I think I may just have to put an old card with no lance on the account so they have nothing to charge.