Issues while on keto

Options
X5452JONDY
X5452JONDY Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not new to keto, i have been on and off it for years and I have done a ton of reasearch, but my issues i cannot seem to find answers to. I know keto is meant to be a lifestyle not a diet and not something to go on and off of, but when im doing keto i get horrible food aversions. I get extremely sick just thinking about meat ( beef, chicken, pork, etc ) let alone trying to eat them and i love meat. I get nauseous thinking about eating eggs and dairy as well. What i find weird is i love eating all these foods when not 'on keto' so i don't know if its all in my head. After a few days of forcing myself to eat i feel gross with all the fats im eating. My macros are 5/25/70 and I've played around with them with the same results. I feel sick, oily, foggy headed, heavy and gross while on this diet, which is completely opposite to others experience. This lasts for months, so its not keto flu. I want to stay on this way of eating because all the health benefits and i can only seem to lose weight on keto, but it seems my body doesnt like this lifestyle, any advise?

Replies

• X5452JONDY
    Options
    Initially to lose weight. I have friends and family that do keto, they say they are revitalized. They feel great, off medications they have been on for years, reversed fatty liver, cholesterol, depression, they have tons of energy, clear headed and just feel amazing while on it. So, i started to lose weight and to feel better.
  • X5452JONDY
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Im not vegetarian by any means thats my point. I have meat at every meal and it's a staple food, but on keto it makes me sick.
  • X5452JONDY
    Options
    Yes, that is true! My downside is with keto the weight just fell off. When calorie counting and working out my weight loss is slim to none, it's really discouraging. I think you are right about our bodys leaning to its natural way of eating. My body definitely doesn't want me doing keto.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is true! My downside is with keto the weight just fell off. When calorie counting and working out my weight loss is slim to none, it's really discouraging. I think you are right about our bodys leaning to its natural way of eating. My body definitely doesn't want me doing keto.

Then your issue definitely lies with how accurately you are accounting for calories. It's physically impossible to not lose weight if you're in a consistent calorie deficit.

Buy yourself a digital kitchen scale. It will be the best $20 you'll ever spend.

I should have mentioned the food scale too. This is why multiple replies are best.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Good luck and if you have any issues just ask. This forum has plenty of knowledgeable people willing to help.
  • X5452JONDY
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Then your issue definitely lies with how accurately you are accounting for calories. It's physically impossible to not lose weight if you're in a consistent calorie deficit.

Buy yourself a digital kitchen scale. It will be the best $20 you'll ever spend.

I should have mentioned the food scale too. This is why multiple replies are best.

Thank you guys, i will give the calorie counting with ( the scale ) a try 😊

Weight loss is not about *what* you eat, but *how much* of it you eat.

A food scale is the only way to get an accurate view of your calorie intake. Make sure that you either create all of your own diary entries or at least double-check any that you are using from the database against the actual nutrition label. The database here is user-created and, as such, can be wildly (and sometime hilariously) inaccurate.

Another common error is tied to exercise calories 'earned.' Many people underestimate what they eat, and also overestimate how much they are burning through exercise. When these two combine, it usually ends up that these people are not in a calorie deficit and, therefore, aren't losing weight.

Here's a chart that may be of help to you:

etzjwmko8mky.jpg

Thank you very much!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Initially to lose weight. I have friends and family that do keto, they say they are revitalized. They feel great, off medications they have been on for years, reversed fatty liver, cholesterol, depression, they have tons of energy, clear headed and just feel amazing while on it. So, i started to lose weight and to feel better.

You can achieve these things many times by just losing the extra weight, it's not special to keto (I normalized pre-diabetic glucose numbers just by losing the extra weight).

If you're struggling to stick with keto then it doesn't sounds like it's a good fit for you. No harm in trying it, count it as a learning experience and then move on.

To lose weight the only thing required is to be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. You can eat any foods, just in the correct calorie amounts. No need to make drastic changes to your food choices-eat what you enjoy eating, that will go a long way towards making this whole thing sustainable for you, for the long term :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @ketokindness Have you tried meditation? If that's not your thing, try the low carber daily group.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sometimes meat just tastes bad because of the way it is raised and processed and what is added to it. It may be that you can find a healthier option and you will like the taste better. Especially if you are not eating lots. I live overseas with very skinny but delicious chicken, etc and I find meat in America to be tasteless at times.