Comfort Food Alternatives

Options
I want to get ideas or a different take on comfort foods. I love southern and Mexican/Italian cuisine! So I need help in finding healthier alternatives to those. Thank you in advance 😉

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    What do you mean by healthier? Less calories? More or less of a specific macro? More nutritious?

I usually lower calories in foods like those by using low fat cheese or less cheese, and just sticking to a reasonable portion size. I don't tend to look at individual foods as healthy or unhealthy. I'd think Mexican food is some of the more nutritious foods I eat though, lots of beans and veggies.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com she makes lower calorie versions of many dishes and they are pretty awesome
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love love love making lasagna and replacing the pasta with slices of zucchini. Tasty, plus never dry, plus all the comfort of lasagna!!!
  • Rquigge
    Rquigge Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Macrochef website
  • beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A lot of paleo style recipes are good substitutes for comfort food. You eat more protein and veggies while getting that flavor of Cajun\Mexican and Italian flavor without the carbs.
  • dbahlen1
    dbahlen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trying this website for weight loss. I'm concerned about my health. I like the eating tips in this introduction thread so far. I rely too much on comfort food.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I crave Italian I make sausage with onions and green peppers with sauce. Not having it with pasta lowers the calorie count and it satisfies the craving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What's not healthy about Mexican or Italian cuisine? I had guests at the house a couple weeks ago and made a lasagna and we had a side salad...it seemed perfectly healthy to me...some meat, some red sauce, some noodles and a bunch of greens and other veg?