Losing weight without exercise

Options
Someone else suggested that I post this in this thread for more responses. So I’m in a position where I can’t exercise. I work 7 days a week and have no time for myself. Question is do you still lose weight on MFP not exercising?. I would love to read more comments

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    To expand on my answer in the other forum - I lost my first 56 lb or so by dieting only, without exercising. All that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit, not how you create it.

However, exercise is really good for your health, and even a little can help to ward off stress and help you feel less tired. You may not have the time and energy to go to the gym or go out running or anything like that, but if you can even leave work and take a fifteen minute walk at lunchtime you may find that makes more of a difference to your wellbeing than you might expect.
  • jaysgirl092516
    jaysgirl092516 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 8 and I am losing a pound a week with very limited exercise (due to physical limitations). I am able to do about 30 to 40 mins a week on the Elliptical or the same time of very low impact lower body exercises.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a calorie deficit, not exercise. You just need to eat less than what you burn and you will lose weight. Now if you want to preserve muscle mass and strengthen them you will need some kind of weight training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yeah...exercise is typically a relatively small energy expenditure in relation to the calories (energy) you expend merely existing and going about your day to day. Losing weight is all about being in an energy (calorie) deficit.

As an example, I burn around 1800 calories just being alive...that's doing absolutely nothing except existing. Obviously, I do more than lay around in a coma. Without exercise I maintain on roughly 2500 calories without any exercise whatsoever...so if I ate less than that and didn't exercise, I would still lose weight...2500 calories is what I burn simply being alive and going about my day to day.

I exercise regularly and my energy expenditure can vary from 150 - 500 or 600 calories on average depending on what I'm doing with slightly bigger burns if I go out for a long ride or something. As you can see, the calories I burn with exercise are relatively small to the calories I burn just existing and going about my day to day.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yes

There could be other factors why you wouldn't. But sure you would lose weight in in a calorie deficit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    To add to comment above about exercise (resistance training) helping to preserve muscle you do have - the other way to tackle that is take a very reasonable deficit and at least use what you got, and get enough protein.

So if you only had up to 30 lbs to lose, 1 lb weekly would be reasonable down to maybe 10 lbs left, and then 1/2 lb weekly.

But to help preserve muscle, you may want to switch to the 1/2 for sure at 15 left, don't go lower.
    That principle of not taking the max applies at higher weights too to lose.

This also helps with fact if no exercise, you'll be eating minimum anyway - just be honest with your daily activity level selected.

Most at first seem to select "sedentary" even when they know they aren't - "just in case".
    That's not really a wise move if attempting to use the tool correctly. That could create a bigger than reasonable deficit and weight loss rate.

What is the 7 days a week work, and how long each day?

If you have kids and/or household responsibilities you do - so not just coming home and plopping on couch until bedtime, you are almost likely to be Lightly-Active.

Otherwise, the potential is what you'll read about many complaining about - they reach goal weight and all they're left with is a smaller version of fatter self - skinny fat.
    What could have been prevented probably is now going to take a lot of hard work to get out of.
  • kellyjwebster1
    kellyjwebster1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just had a doctor appointment with my primary care. I've been told that losing weight is one of the best ways for me to treat a condition I was just diagnosed with, and following a nutritious meal plan is the #1 way to go. We discussed exercise, something I've never really done before, and my doctor said the most important thing is for you to simply MOVE. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned taking a walk during your break at work. Maybe take a small walk before or after? Even marching in place indoors for 5 minutes can be just enough to help burn off a little bit of that energy. You mentioned you have no time for yourself. I know how hard it can be to work and have other responsibilities pile up, but you've gotta take care of YOU first. =) I wish you the best of luck on your journey!!!!
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes because the only thing that matters in weight loss is being in a calorie deficit.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are so hard pressed for time for yourself. If you wanted increase your exercise you could stand rather than sit, take the stairs rather than a lift or elevators, may be, get off the bus a stop earlier, or park the car further away from the door, this sort of thing can help being more physically mobile. I'm sure you can think of other things. May be you don't have a sedentary job and have one with integral exercise which would be reflected in your activity level? Some research done in an elderly community discovered even sitting up rather than slouching helped I so many ways. Probably what I'm trying to say is, exercise is good for muscle tone and well being but going to the formal gym is not essential, calories used in exercise help but its consuming that bit less than you need to live as you do, which will make the difference. Many use exercise as a method of increasing the foods they can eat. All the best, be and do what is right for yourself.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I actually lose better when I don't exercise. I maintain much better when I do. I find losing weight and getting fit are two different things.and when I do them at the same time.both take longer,. but..that's just me. but y es.. you can lose weight without exercising.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Someone else suggested that I post this in this thread for more responses. So I’m in a position where I can’t exercise. I work 7 days a week and have no time for myself. Question is do you still lose weight on MFP not exercising?. I would love to read more comments

While it is absolutely possible to lose weight without exercising, being completely sedentary is not good for your health.

Some people say they don't exercise but it turns out they mow the lawn, walk the dog, etc. Exercise doesn't have to be performed in a gym.

My 81 yo mom has always been very active (gardening, walking, swimming, yoga, chores) but just started going to a gym a few years ago. Her osteoporosis doctor wishes she had started strength training decades earlier.

My OH's sedentary mother ended up in a nursing home when she no longer had the strength to go to the toilet unassisted.