UK sizes, American sizes, Canadian sizes...GRRRR!!!

Options
Can we PLEASE have standard sizes for women?????
Ugh..I like to purchase online a lot, and I'm so sick of not being able to fit things properly based on listed size.

I ordered a pair of jeans from apple bottoms. They were HUGE. I ended up having to send them back and get 5 sizes smaller. Apparently "apple bottom" size 3/4 is a size 8 in Canada. Or..ordering a size 8 from the UK...and it's so tight I can't breathe. I really don't care what the number says as long as it FITS.

Mens sizes are standard. They are done by measurements. Why can't women's clothing be like this?

Replies

• FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    UK 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
    US 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    then americans go get sizes like 3s and 5s and 9s and im like wth?!? and then you get the europeans and the russians (i go there a lot) whenever i try and shop im like wth!
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree !
    canadian - 22/24
    us - 17/18

uk - 9 ...

ITS SO CONFUSING
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    And womens and juniors sizes are different. I still shop in the Juniors section. I HATE womens clothing. They're so boring. snooze.

And I'm petite!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The trouble is that women have larger thighs and hips than men. If you get a man's waist the legs will fit. No problem that it would fit your waist if you could get it over your thunder thighs. I would love standard sizes but the trouble is there are too many shapes of women.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    And womens and juniors sizes are different. I still shop in the Juniors section. I HATE womens clothing. They're so boring. snooze.

And I'm petite!

i still shop in the kids section xD i can easily fit into age 14
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Men's sizes are not standard.
    I have smalls, mediums and larges. All fit me.
    There is a 4" difference in the waist size of my cheap jeans and my expensive jeans and they all fit great.
    For sportswear, many brands like LL Bean cut huge so I can wear small or medium. Brooks Brothers is cut a bit large. "Designer" clothes like Hugo Boss are cut smaller so I need to buy the larger number.

Anyway, its not about numbers its about fit. I go to stores and try on ten things to buy one.
    My wife buys ten things online and returns 9.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ah, but as a Brit it is a wonderful feeling to buy stuff with US sizing and pretend that I'm a 12 (when I'm a pudgy 16 - grrrrrr)!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    While we're at it, why don't we all go to the metric system as well. Of course, that isn't nearly as serious as clothes.
  • meowthania
    Options
    I haven't gone shopping in women's sizes yet since dropping about 25lbs - but I am now happily wearing my hubby's size 30 shorts / jeans...?
  • echoegami
    echoegami Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Metric, yes!

Also, there have been a few half-hearted attempts to standardize sizing in the U.S. between manufacturers (we'll leave international sizes out for the moment) since the more money you pay the smaller your size might be aka "vanity sizing"! Unfortunately, the same old anything-goes-sizing still seems to be the norm. There should be an adherence to actual measurements to base sizes on, imho. And while women's body shapes tend to vary, just add a couple more indicators to better perfect the sizing. For instance, my waist is one size but my butt and hips are another so I always have to go for the size that fits around all that "junk in the trunk" I've got and then tailor the waistband to fit.

Relatedly, there is a machine I heard about on the radio a few months back that supposedly will start rolling out in the U.S. in retail shops. I hope they succeed and I really hope manufacturers start catering to the rest of us, rather than the size zero, grossly underweight fashion model sized ladies. Here's some articles about it if you're interested: 1) http://abcnews.go.com/Business/body-scanner-finds-perfect-clothing-size/story?id=13601121 and 2) http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2011/08/new-body-scanning-kiosks-will-take-your-measurements-fully-clothed/