got a question everyone

Options
Hey everyone , I been told I should get a heart rate monitor.Well this is the thing , the reason I have not got one yet is I figured you couldn't just type in zumba or any excercises you do that don't come up when you log it in here.So I was wondering whats really the difference?To all those that have a heart rate monitor do you call type in the name of your workout like zumba or anything like that and it brings it up?Thanks

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I choose the type of workout from the MFP list, and then I manually correct the number of calories burned to what my HRM show instead of the number MFP calculates
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM for any type of exercise I do. If it's already in the database, I input calories burned from HRM, if it's not already in the database I add as an exercise for me. I have personalized all of my exercises now and always use HRM as I found MFP and machines at gym, etc. aren't very accurate. Also, if you do invest in a HRM, get one with a chest strap as they are more accurate. I have a Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!!!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a question too. What if you have one that just keeps HR and does not give you caleries burned. Is there a way to figure out calories from your heart rate?
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM for any type of exercise I do. If it's already in the database, I input calories burned from HRM, if it's not already in the database I add as an exercise for me. I have personalized all of my exercises now and always use HRM as I found MFP and machines at gym, etc. aren't very accurate. Also, if you do invest in a HRM, get one with a chest strap as they are more accurate. I have a Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!!!

How much did you get the chest strap one for?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor measures your exertion level - so the type of workout you are doing doesn't matter - how hard you are working does matter.

I have a Polar F6. It uses a chest strap to count my heartbeats (chest strap is best) .... wrist HRMs not so much. Anyway, I entered my age & weight (initial set up). When I workout I press the start button. When I'm finished - I press stop .....Whallah !..... calories burned.

The best (worst) thing about a HRM - your calories burned will not stay the same forever. The better conditioned you become - the lower your calorie burn will be.
  • tulipsrbetter
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and I love it! I just search for the cardio/exercise that I've done and manually enter it. I've found that what MFP says I burn during my workouts is usually about 250 more calories than I actually burn, so it's really helped me change my workouts. It's a great investment, definitely worth the money!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I use the hrm, and I have my list of workouts, I just click on exercise, cardio and there's my list, I enter my min and my cals burned. It's really easy.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    I choose the type of workout from the MFP list, and then I manually correct the number of calories burned to what my HRM show instead of the number MFP calculates
    This is what I do too. At my weight and age, I burn close to 1000 cals in 1 hour where most would only burn 600-700 cals. LOL!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Same here... and my HRM often shows significantly different callorie burns than this site does. Ultimately its still just an estimate, but its far more accurate.

I've also founf it to be very effective in training... Ive figured out what HR i can sustain and for how long, which is good come race day. Once winter rolls around and most of my training moves indoors, its heart rate zone alarms should come in really handy.
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    ok but is the hrm computerized to the point u can type in zumba and it comes up?
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ok but is the hrm computerized to the point u can type in zumba and it comes up?

The activity isn't a factor in your calorie burn, in the way that doing zumba doesn't guarantee that you are going to burn the same every time. Because one day you might be really into it and push really hard and another day you might be slacking. No way you burned the same number of calories on both those days. A heart rate monitor goes by how hard you are working so you don't need to input what activity you are doing.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont have a hrm.

i did just fine without one.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A HRM just counts your heart beats and calculates from there how many calories you have burned according to your age and weight. It doesnt know what activity you are doing.
    Ive got a polar FT60 and its really good. The difference between the estimated calories and what my HRM says is always different by a few hundred cals.
    If you eat back some or all of your exercise calories, then having a more accurate estimate of what you have burned is kind of important.