Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

WOE change or consistent inaccurate logging fixing stalled weight loss

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,817 Member
So I had sort of a lightbulb moment today reading thru some of the posts which start about this time about "why am I not losing weight" etc. There are always a few folks who will pop up and say that they were stalled and then they changed up their WOE based on a Dr advice for a spouse or an issue they were having etc. and BOOM they started losing weight again.

So, my debate question is this.

Is changing your WOE going to help with a stalled weight loss

a) because of the different types of foods you eat and how they interact with a specific person's body?

or

b) is it merely that you unconsciously fix the possible logging errors you were having when you change to eating different things so you actually are now in CICO deficit?

or

c) maybe both of the above. :)

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think a change in the woe might aid in fixing inaccurate logging issues. An example might be:

They switch from home-cooked meals to packaged meals which have clear and available nutritional and portion information.

Another possibility is that a new woe might be easier to follow...or even be one in which they are less likely to overeat and/or cheat naturally.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe sorta both..

Changing a WOE can help with hunger/satiation/accuracy issues that then alow them to log more accurately. It seems that upping carbs from a steep deficit can help one have a whoosh or going low carb from a high carb diet can cause a loss of water weight initially and then can have an affect on ones adherence.

But what do I know:).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Well, everything they said^^ and...lots of people right now are doing Keto, it's the WOE du jour. Keto by its nature causes that big water/stored glycogen loss. If Keto or low carb is anywhere in the equation, expect shenanigans.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Part of it could be water weight dropping if the person reduces their anxiety about dieting by making a change. At least some of stalls come from pent up water weight.
    It is also possible that none of the above is happening when changing diet and the stall breaks. The stall might have just been set to break anyway and the diet change is coincidence turned into a explanation retroactively.