Weighing weekly or weighing daily

Options
Up to this point I have been weighing weekly. I dug my scales out and I am considering weighing daily. What are the pros and cons of each? If you weigh daily do you enter your weight in every day. Thanks!

Replies

• an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The reason I like weighing in daily is because it motivates me to be better the next day if I need to or to beat the previous day... Weekly maybe better for consistency due to water weight etc but personally I like to keep it daily
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh daily because weight fluctuates so much. Here are my weigh ins this week for example.

2aa7tpf8gv34.png

If I didn’t weigh every day but only on Saturday I would’ve spent all week thinking I was way up and been discouraged. If I only weighed on Thursdays I would’ve thought I had a huge loss when really it was just a weird blimp downward.

I wanna see all the data I can, it helps me see patterns and to understand the difference between fat loss/gain and water loss/gain.

The negatives of weighing daily in my opinion is that it does show you more flux and that can be discouraging if you don’t have a good mindset about what is actually happening. Also you can tend to get a tad obsessed with the scale which can be unhealthy so I try to watch my mindset on that too.

Although you can also have an unhealthy relationship with the scale if you weigh weekly. I know people who obsess the night before weigh in and won’t drink water after a certain time or over restrict that day. It’s insane to me because having one low water weight date is arbitrary and really has no meaning. Why torture yourself once a week to obtain some weekly goal? I’d rather eat in a consistent deficit and track my trends over months than obsess over a particular day.

That was long winded but honestly it truly doesn’t matter. Try both and figure out what works best for you. ☺️
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily until I started maintenance. During my active weight loss period, I really found it helpful to deal with those daily ups and downs and just focus on the process. When I knew that I had been right on target, yet the scale said up 1 pound, I was able to laugh it off and just say "silly scale" and keep on doing what was working.

Once I started on Maintenance, I just decided once a week was enough (and I have a 4-pound range where I don't react and change anything unless I see a "gain" for two weeks in a row).
  • lindasuedue
    lindasuedue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, I enjoy seeing when the body bounces off of a new "set point" for a few days and then settles in to a new lower weight - then starts the process again for a few days.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,560 Member
    Options
    This information is very helpful. Thank you everyone. I think I will weigh daily. I think there won’t be as much stress as the weekly weigh in.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i weight daily. I use a weight trending app to log the daily info and only update MFP when i`m consistently below a given weight (not just trending).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I really only do "weigh ins" weekly. But I weigh myself multiple times during the week to understand fluctuations.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use a weight trend app (libra for android) I find seeing the general trend helps me to stay on track and not get disheartened if my weight goes up for a day or two.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Daily every morning before breakfast! Easier to catch small gains and adjust calories and sodium!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    And I use the Happy Scale App!