IF without Keto?

I’ve seen lots of people taking about intermittent fasting (IF) a few times and I was curious if people who are not doing Keto can do this? Whenever I’ve heard people refer to IF it’s always with relation to Keto. I am not interested in Keto (for various reasons) but I am interested in IF. Also- how do you control hunger? I wake up for work at 5am and I’m already starving. I typically go to bed at 9pm and try to have my last snack meal at 7/7:30. I’m guessing I could just alter the times spent fasting but I’m still curious about the hunger.

If you do IF what meal do you break your fast with? If you’re not Keto, would you be willing to share what a typical day looks like?

Also due to our life and work schedules I cannot get to the gym until the evenings usually right before or right after dinner. It seems one of the benefits of IF is working out while fasting. Thoughts?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    IF practitioner here. I manage by selecting “smart” foods that contribute to me being satisfied and fueling my body to deliver during my fitness training.

And, by being disciplined and mindful of my big picture goals that are more rewarding than the immediate and false gratification of bowing to my weak mind and strong gut.

Join us at the IF forum for support from other IF practitioners.

Wishing you the best.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    IF is just a meal timing thing. Has nothing to do with Keto. I've never done keto and never will. I am just not hungry until afternoon so I just naturally don't eat until then. If you are hungry in the mornings, then maybe IF isn't for you. IF is not magic bullet to weight loss. I have gained and lost eating this way. I drink coffee in the morning which keeps me full most of the day. I start to get hungry around 4 pm, and eat after I get off work around 6:30.

If you want to try IF, then you need to figure out what foods keep you full. For me that is protein. Carbs make me really hungry and I'm never satisfied eating too much carbs.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    I did IF for around 6 years and have never done keto. IF is just a meal timing protocol that helps some keep their calories in check better. You can use it with any way of eating.