How do you decide final weight goal

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I just chose the weight I was happiest with in the past and like others, will re-evaluate when I'm there. I'm primarily going off how happy I am (or not) with look and feel.

That scale...that's a harsh task master, so I just use it now to see trends.

Ya, I was happy with my body when I was a full time yoga teacher, so that's my goal weight. It's actually still in Overweight, but as I have a large frame and the accompanying large feet, hands, wrists, and head, I'm fine with that.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. Really appreciate all the feedback. I don’t have a good idea what my body would be best out. Too many body issues and thinking I was overweight when I was perfect. It has distorted what is realistic and am just trying to manage my expectations to not retrigger that thinking. But you are all correct, things will need to be re-evaluated as goals are met. Deciding I may need to lose more won’t negate the work I already put in. Will keep reminding myself of that because I know this will be a struggle for me. Thank you all!
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for the upper limit of a normal BMI and going from there.

I think it is a good idea to get some type of body scan or measurement done so you can see what your body fat percentage is. If I can get to 25% or lower I’d imagine I would get the look and feel I’m after, regardless of the exact scale weight.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I just chose the weight I was happiest with in the past and like others, will re-evaluate when I'm there. I'm primarily going off how happy I am (or not) with look and feel.

That scale...that's a harsh task master, so I just use it now to see trends.

Ya, I was happy with my body when I was a full time yoga teacher, so that's my goal weight. It's actually still in Overweight, but as I have a large frame and the accompanying large feet, hands, wrists, and head, I'm fine with that.

Mine was from when I had a coach back in the 80s lol. Even back then she used to harp on my lifting buddy and I to not get hung up on the scale unless we had to hit a certain weight for competition.

I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating ignoring the scale, not at all. I've just driven myself towards a number in the past when I should have been more concerned with measurements.

Then again, I'm average build at best, so my measurements never wow anyone anyway. :D
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    First I picked a number smack dab in the middle of healthy BMI. Then I looked at maintenance calories and figured I could go lower. I don't trust myself to go by how I feel because I have been OK being overweight and obese after all.

But I'll see when I get there. I have only lost 25 and an still very much obese so what do I know.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    First I picked a number smack dab in the middle of healthy BMI. Then I looked at maintenance calories and figured I could go lower. I don't trust myself to go by how I feel because I have been OK being overweight and obese after all.

But I'll see when I get there. I have only lost 25 and an still very much obese so what do I know.

What do you mean "What do I know?"

You know you lost 25lbs (which is awesome :) )
    You know you'll know more when you get there.

And you know enough to not go with an emotionally based number (how you 'feel')

I'd say you're doing great. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »
    At 5’7”, I set my final goal to 145. That felt so impossible all those months ago that I didn’t over think it but am now wondering if I should set it lower. I don’t want to disappoint myself and find out at 145 that I still have all lot to lose. I know that will upset me. Was thinking of resetting to 135 but that is just me thinking 135 sounds nice. How did you decide your final?

Never had a "goal weight"...I don't really care about numbers on the scale. I just wanted to be lean enough to not have love handles or a gut and had no idea what that number would be; I just dieted down until I got there.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight. I do my best not to think about it. My focus is on today and doing what is right for myself. I am in this for proper weight management not just weight loss so there is no actual end to this process.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" too. I picked my first goal as the BMI that is smack in the middle of the healthy range. Got there and thought I could stand to lose some more, so I set my goal a little lower. Still working towards that goal and I'll be happy if I get there (it's ~6 lbs away) but I'm kind of ok if I don't--I'm not really good at maintaining so if I stay in the "actively losing" (albeit very small amounts weekly) then I do fine. I look pretty good in clothes right now, but would like to look a little better nekkid (realizing, too, that I probably have a wee bit of body dysmorphia).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight when I looked my best when I was a bit younger and fit all of my old clothes. I might alter this goal a bit now because I want to gain some muscle.
  • bruinsgirl3319
    bruinsgirl3319 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and close to 150. I set my goal to 130 because that's roughly what I weighed in high school and is also considered healthy. (I've been small my entire life. Sue me 😂) I think it's different for everyone though. If you still aren't sure, talk to your doctor and see what he/she says.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight, I set my goal at 130, which is the top of the healthy weight range for my height. I did make it, and felt like continuing. After some setbacks, I did gain weight back, and decided to set it at 110 this time. I don't know why, but it makes me feel better to set that goal but know that if I don't quite get there, that I'm still good between 110-130. I don't want to go below 110 though because it would disqualify me from giving blood.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I decided my final weight goal by BMI. I know BMI isn't fully reliable, especially for people who workout/build muscle but I figured it's a good starting point for me. Apparently the ideal weight is 120 since I'm 5'1. Which seems right to me because I'm at 144 now (started with 173), and when looking at my body, I can see where the 24 lb could come off at. I've decided to not be too critical of my goal weight and just work with it so my plan is to get down to 125 then I'll see where my body is at and go from there.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I look to the BMI chart....I didn't want to be overweight.. so as long as you're in your healthy BMI range..it is just a matter of preference. I'm right in the middle... I think I'd look too skinny at the bottom of my BMI since I'm tall.

I set my first goal to be 5 pounds below healthy weight on the bmi. When I get down there I'll see how I feel about it I guess. I was once at the bottom of the healthy weight range and I was hangry and blacked out when I stood up so I won't aim for the very bottom of that range again.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 204lbs which is 1 pound under obese. I'd be thrilled to be only "overweight". Got 40lbs left to get there. Last time I was that low was 40 years ago (age 20). Once I get there, I'll probably shoot for 195 just to be able to say I'd lost 100lbs, but I don't have to be a "normal" BMI to be happy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I started 3 years ago, I picked the middle of the "healthy" BMI for my height as my goal weight. That was 160. When I got to 165, I still had abdominal fat, got sort of discouraged, and gained 50 lb. I'm back to losing now and have no predetermined goal.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I decided on 115-120 (I'll reach 120 first and then see if I want to go lower). It's pretty much in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I'm not too attached to it, I can always decide to go lower if I get there and want to lose more or if I get close and don't feel the need to get all the way down to 120 then I'll stop a little early.
  • BethE238
    BethE238 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @merekins - I am also 5’7. I am 39 years old, two kids, etc. I set my weight goal for 140, knowing I will decide if I want to be +/- 5lbs from there when I reach it, and may prefer to do body recomp rather than focus on the scale. I remember feeling “fine” with my weight 10 years ago, around 155, but always wishing I could lose an extra 10lbs. In college I was 122 for a long while (wore a size 2) and felt amazing about my weight and size, but I just don’t think that will be sustainable for me now and don’t feel like I need to be that small anyway. 135 also seems like the ideal weight for me in my head, but I am just not sure it’s sustainable in the long run for me, and when I get around 140, I may prefer to add muscle to change my body, rather than losing more fat. Best of luck to you!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Use the middle of the BMI chart and take it from there. I’m 5-7, and I’m good with 145, but looked best at 125. Headed back there.