Calculations of MyFitnessPal

Options
I wanted to know how accurate you have found MyFitnessPal in calculating the amount of calories you are supposed to eat according to the information you enter. Mine says eat 1670 per day but I can not imagine losing on that many calories. What had been your experience?

Replies

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Extremely accurate. If you don't want to eat that much you can set your own limit. But MFP has never done me wrong. I'm in maintenance and my calorie allowance is 2250 - I freaked OUT when I saw it. But..I haven't gained anything which is the goal. I actually have lost half a pound. Its never done me wrong.
  • MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply and I am happy you reached your goal!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pretty much spot on for me
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Very accurate.

When I started I set my goal to lose 2 lbs a week. I followed what MFP said (including eating back my exercise calories) and averaged a loss of 2 lbs a week. Averaged being the key word there. Sometimes it was less, sometimes it was more but if you looked at my weight loss over a period of 4 - 6 weeks it averaged out to about 2 lbs per week. Now I'm closer to my goal and set my MFP settings to lose 1 lb a week. And I lose on average 1 lb a week.

Just trust the numbers for 4 - 6 weeks and see what happens.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Accurate, once I realized I couldn't handle the whole 1200 calorie thing. I got on the forums and read a lot of posts and realized I needed to slow down my weight loss now that I'm in a healthy weight range. Now I'm rocking 1360 calories a day (plus half my exercise calories when I feel like it) and losing about a half a pound a week. It's slow going, but it's more manageable.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    I eat my mfp calorie goal PLUS my exercise calories and I lose (or gain/maintain) as expected.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    MFP weight loss calorie estimates are accurate or even low for most people. In general, when people think their calorie goal seems high, it’s usually because they haven’t tracked their food before and don’t know what that number of calories really looks like.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I found it to be as accurate as any online calculator can predict loss because we are all different and everything is based on averages. Not perfect which only became obvious when I was finding maintenance but close enough to lose weight at around the predicted rate without any problems.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I lost nearly all my weight at 1700 plus exercise calories. I mean, it really depends on your current weight, height, gender, age, and your daily routine.

Try it for a while. Track accurately and track everything you eat. That's really the only way to find out, and it's what we all had to do.

Here's a good guide to learn how to use this site and track food:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1