How do you avoid boredom eating?

Options
You would think the pile of work on my desk would be enough to keep me from getting bored...not to mention the few (ok, not so few) minutes I've been spending on MFP...but everyday at this same time I'm in that already finished my snack/not ready to go home yet place and looking for yet another nosh. Do I just preplan and bring another healthy snack? Do I change up my schedule so I'm eating lunch later? I already went for a walk around the building for a change of scenery and I'm on my 4th bottle of water today. I'm pretty sure I'm not actually hungry, just bored.

How do you avoid boredom eating?

Replies

• maddie002
    Options
    If you find out, let me know! I took lunch at 1:30 and had a PB & J sandwich. Now my tummy is all grumbly again. So frustrating. I know I shouldn't be hungry.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your trying to cut out tea and coffee, but I find a cup of tea at 3pm helps keep the hunger at bay.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home-mom right now so I just keep myself moving all day to avoid snacking. I know in an office, sitting at a desk all day, no matter how much work you have, gets DEATHLY boring. Maybe try those crystal light packets for a little flavor in your water, it may stop you from wanting a snack.
    Or, like you mentioned, pack up a healthier snack! some celery sticks or carrot sticks!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should avoid snacking? Why eat if you're not hungry?
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Would you be allowed to listen to some music while working? I find having something to listen to stops me being completely bored. Or even sing a song in my head.. but apparently not everyone has that ability :)
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I usually try to chug a huge glass of water - if I'm still "hungry" 20 minutes after that, then I grab something to munch on. I always have some healthy snacks in my desk drawer to ensure that I avoid the vending machines. I'm a sucker for Twix bars! :embarassed:
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've always had that problem. I guess I would say that if you do feel that need, just try eating something healthy. The flavored water typically helps too. filling up on water usually makes me full so I don't want to eat even if I am bored.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    When I eat clean I am never hungry.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Will you come clean my food for me?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Lemme go grab my windex...
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Lemme go grab my windex...

Woohoo!
  • AJCoombs
    AJCoombs Posts: 16
    Options
    Try some sugar free gum. That always helps me with snacking. I don't snack because I already have something in my mouth.: )
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I go for a diet coke and a smoke. Not healthy, but no calories either! And I can't ditch all my addictions at once :-)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should avoid snacking? Why eat if you're not hungry?

Sometimes that is easier said then done. Eating out of being bored is a huge cause to some weight gains. If anyone knows how not to eat even though not hungry, let me know. Desk jobs can be difficult, especially since we cannot move to far or very often. :smile: