Am I exercising too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this routine, eating 2000 and how much weight have you lost in that time?

I think your TDEE is likely higher than 2350. But how much weight you’re actually losing will tell us best.

If you’re feeling drained and sluggish, workouts are suffering, etc-then you’re doing too much and/or not eating enough.

Rest days are important. Fueling appropriately is important.

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to reinforce the need for recovery. Remember that you don't get stronger when you exercise (muscle stress/damage) - you get stronger when you rest (repair of said damage). So consider rest and recovery as an essential part of the training.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this routine, eating 2000 and how much weight have you lost in that time?

I think your TDEE is likely higher than 2350. But how much weight you’re actually losing will tell us best.

If you’re feeling drained and sluggish, workouts are suffering, etc-then you’re doing too much and/or not eating enough.

Rest days are important. Fueling appropriately is important.

I’ve only been doing the eating 2000 calories for 2.5 weeks so far. Haven’t lost any weight as it hasn’t been long enough.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I'm just going to reinforce the need for recovery. Remember that you don't get stronger when you exercise (muscle stress/damage) - you get stronger when you rest (repair of said damage). So consider rest and recovery as an essential part of the training.

Thanks I’m going to take 2 entire days off in the week and see how I feel.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Your TDEE sounds low for that much exercise?

What do you think my TDEE is? I’m 5’ 4’ aged 25 and female so the calculators tell me my TDEE is around 2200/2300?

Based on all that exercise?

How much do you weigh?

I weigh 152 lbs

I guessed at 150, and Scooby gives you a TDEE of over 2800.

Wow I had no idea. I think i was miscalculating my TDEE.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't know.

You might not realize until you've injured yourself. Then it's too late.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Rest and recover is import some time when you work out that much you can just go through the motions. Or eat bit more? see what works for you.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That looks like a very reasonable exercise regimen. If you were doing a of of HIIT training then I could see fatigue being an issue, but there is a lot of active recovery in your plan. Excluding any medical condition, if I were to take an uneducated guess I would suggest looking at the types of food you are eating, specifically healthy carbs. Carbs naturally have a bad name but they are an essential energy source for activity. Also, if you don't have a good recovery meal that's also an important part of ensuring you are replenishing yourself after a hard workout. My go to smoothie is a whey or vegan protein powder with frozen fruit (pineapple for inflammation, wild blueberries for anti-oxidants) plus a handful of spinach or other greens. Relative to low energy, you might also consider taking a B-12 supplement. I use ZippFizz which is available at Costco or online. I find it to be a good alternative to coffee as a pick-me-up.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Even pro athletes have at least 1-2 complete recovery days a week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Rest/recovery days are kind of an important part of a good fitness regimen.

How many rest days should I include? I’m confused 🤷🏽‍♀️ I though you should exercise 5/6 days a week?

You can exercise 7 days a week, but it is a good idea to mix it up. Have a day where you walk 1.5 hours ... but then another day where you only walk 30 minutes and do nothing else.

And if you feel tired, rest! Probably about once a month, I don't do any exercise.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I don’t think this is necessarily a lot - it looks to me that you do 2 cardio workouts/week, and then some strength training. That is not necessarily a lot depending on how fast you walk your 10,000. Perhaps watch your nutrition and take a break.
  • GgMil2319
    GgMil2319 Posts: 0 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are doing too much. Listen to your body.