Can someone please help. I’m so confused

Options
Ok. I currently weigh 191 at 5 foot and my age is 44. If I eat 1200 calories now how in the world am I gonna continue to lose weight at the same 1200 to get to 145? As we get smaller I know we need less food but I can not go below 1200. I’m just too hungry. Has anyone continued to lose weight till goal as they get smaller or did you have to go below 1200 to continue losing?

Replies

• jenniferanderson3888
    Options
    It gives me 1300. But my question is when I drop to 1200 which is soon how can I stay at 1200 till goal if we have to eat less as we get smaller. I can’t eat less than that I have 45 pounds to goal. I think I get 1200 at 170
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into MFP to maintain your goal weight. How many calories does that give you?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    good question!! I see what you mean.. it gives you no where to go. Maybe some small members who are you height and desired weight could help answer your question.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,181 Member
    Options
    Ok. I currently weigh 191 at 5 foot and my age is 44. If I eat 1200 calories now how in the world am I gonna continue to lose weight at the same 1200 to get to 145? As we get smaller I know we need less food but I can not go below 1200. I’m just too hungry. Has anyone continued to lose weight till goal as they get smaller or did you have to go below 1200 to continue losing?

A TDEE calculator estimates that even if you're sedentary, your gross calorie burn at 145 pounds would be around 1500-1600 calories. That means that you'd still lose weight at 1200 at 145.

I'm a little taller than you (5'5"), but started out around the same weight (I was 183), and older (59 at the time). I lost way too fast at 1200, and got weak and fatigued. I'd suggest you eat more than 1200, if you're too hungry at 1200. At 135, I'd still lose weight at 1200 gross calories (though I'm maintaining right now at 135, age 63).

Also, this:

Read that article. Really.

And finally, why borrow trouble from the future? Find a sensible calorie level to lose weight now, at a moderate and sustainable rate. See what happens in the future, and deal with it then. There are options to earn more calories from either added exercise, or increased NEAT (daily non-exercise activity).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I am 5’1 and down to 145ish after starting at over 170. Being older and sedentary at work, myfitnesspal gave me 1200 as my calorie target. I wear a Fitbit and am intentional about getting movement. I eat exercise calories back when hungry which averages me to 1400-1500 calories per day. I was listening to a podcast interview yesterday with Lyle McDonald. He said something along the lines of smaller women may need to adjust their deficit to be a percentage of total maintenance calories rather than cutting sharply. He seemed to be advocating very slow weight loss in an effort to retain muscle mass and in some cases bone density. 1200 is the lowest myfitnesspal goes for female when losing weight. But playing with the settings will help you get a better idea what maintenance calories are for you so that you can choose any calorie goal lower than maintenance that you prefer. I keep mine set at 1200 but I don’t stress about going over.
  • hmkiesel
    hmkiesel Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I weigh 131 at 5'6" and lose weight (.5 lb per week) eating 1500. the closer you get to your goal, the less you should aim to lose per week, so don't worry. you will continue to lose until you reach your goal, even if you stick to 1300 cals.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    hmkiesel wrote: »
    I weigh 131 at 5'6" and lose weight (.5 lb per week) eating 1500. the closer you get to your goal, the less you should aim to lose per week, so don't worry. you will continue to lose until you reach your goal, even if you stick to 1300 cals.

You would but someone that is 6 inches shorter may not. You would have to be really short to not lose at 1200 calories though.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Another shorty weighing in. :D I am also 5 feet tall. I NEVER ate less than 1500 calories. In fact, I most typically eat around 1650 to drop weight. Your weight and NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - meaning how much you move around in the day) are going to be big contributors to how much you can eat. I am fairly active. I am on my feet a lot and have a higher NEAT.

As you go from 191 to 145 I would suspect that you will not see that much of a weight loss slow down. If you decide to go from 145-125 you will probably start to see your weight loss slow down.

How long have you been eating 1200 calories? What has your average weekly weight loss been?