Strengthening machines vs free weights

Options
If I’m doing the circuit at the gym am I getting a good workout? Should I be doing free weights in addition? I’m totally intimidated by free weights and don’t know what I’m doing so I stick with the strengthening machines and cardio.

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I find free weights are good and raw i will recommend adding free weights but i always used both.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Personally the only machines I use are the lat pull down and assisted pull up. Everything else I do with free weights, not only do they allow more natural movement but also work all the little stabilising muscles.
    Don't be intimidated (easier said than done I know), but if you can find someone (a trainer) to show you how to do the different exercises correctly then try and make the move over to free weights. I'm lucky, I go to a small, local gym and the owner has taken me under his wing and taught me correct form as well as adding in new accessory exercises, spotting for me and telling me whether it's time to up the weights.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Both have their purpose. I personally use a barbell, free weights and machines. What i find more valuable than debating one of the other is following a structured routine. But if you have limited equipment i would prefer free weights over machines.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Whether you use a machine or free weight does not determine the quality of your workout. It’s more about what you’re doing, the muscles you’re working, and the amount of weights and reps. I can get s great workout with many different tools.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Both offer resistance. It's mostly going to be a matter of preference. A combination of both works out well for many.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lildickybarrett
    lildickybarrett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving your forcing your body to do work under load and your body will change as a result.

However
    - free weights cause you to engage muscles to stabilize the weight while your lifting.
    - you should look at doing compound lifts, squats, deadlift, bench press, barbell row - these make you engage many muscles at once and build a great foundation of overall strength, there is a common 5setsx5reps routine out their (see google for stronglifts or mark rippletoes starting strength)
    -dont be intimidated by free weights, they belong to you as much as the muscle heads and I know ladies of all sizes, shapes and ages who all *kitten* on the bars! The weights honestly dont care, they have no brain, they just want to be loved.
    -if your asking for the purpose of weightloss consider neither the weights or your cardio are going to do much of anything for your weightless, given that the massive larger part of weightloss if governed by your calorie consumption (see https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html) use the weights to help retain muscle when dieting, to build health and well strength, use the cardio to make a bigger calorie deficit in your daily calorie intake without eating
    - all 'diets' whether selling you $200 shakes, making you eat low carb, whatever... are essentially causing a calorie deficity, so do what works for you and you can stick with.

Enjoy what you do, but keep at it day in and day out, know its going to suck.

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There advantages to free weights as mentioned ^^ but it really comes down to what you're more comfortable with.

If you don't have someone to spot for you or the gym's equipment doesn't have safety bars the machines may be the way to go, at least until you become a bit more confident.

If you go the free weight route you need to focus on developing good form to prevent injuries, once your form is good (hiring a trainer can help with this) increase the wight being lifted at a reasonable rate.
  • thinbybday
    thinbybday Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are several threads here on different weight lifting programs. Most long term fitness lifters do some sort of progressive lifting plan.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    @lildickybarrett nails it.
    Free weights engage more muscles.
    Personally I prefer dumbbells over barbells.
    I can't do barbell squats because I don't have the range of motion in my shoulders to do that. The bar ends up sitting on my spine. Very painful, so I don't do it.
    I do barbell bench presses but also dumbbell press/fly.
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using a bag of sand (30 lbs) in a daily workout in my garage.
    It’s hard to grapple and works a lot of areas. Standing, squatting and a ground routine seems really good. Core gets a good blast. Feels more natural than weights to me. 👋
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use a combination, but free weights and compound movements are the foundation of my workout as they engage more muscles all at once, including the core, and you have to engage stabilizers. I use machines for some supplemental work as they isolate specific muscles.
  • AdrianSee1975
    AdrianSee1975 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are.
    If you just want to lose weight, you can use anything.
    If you want to be as strong and functional as possible, most machines are not the best choice.
    Then there is bodyweight resistance, calisthenics. Many practitioners of calisthenics/gymnastics type movements have the best bodies and are generally the strongest and most functional.
    There are more options too.