Vegan Challenge-- starting Aug. 23!

Options
Hey pals,

I'm challenging myself to go vegan for one week starting tomorrow, Aug. 23! I'll continue to not eat any animal products through August 30. I'm just realizing how much I rely on animal products in my diet, and I think this will be a great challenge to only consume healthy, fresh foods.

I would love for people to join me in this to keep accountable, share recipes, etc. I may keep it going longer than a week, but being married to a meat-eater may make it more difficult :p

Who wants to join!? Add me :)

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    oh me me me! i'll join you :D
  • MSMiss
    MSMiss Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been on a Vegan diet since April 1 and lost 16 pounds. I have continued to stay on this diet and have not missed meat one bit. In fact, I feel better. Of course, finding vegan friendly restaurants has been the true challenge. So I'm forced to eat only salads and then I must take out much of the things added. There are so many different ways to prepare and eat fresh vegetables and fruits and with the addition of soy products, your diet can become quite versatile. Good luck in your endeavors.
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    I have been on a Vegan diet since April 1 and lost 16 pounds. I have continued to stay on this diet and have not missed meat one bit. In fact, I feel better. Of course, finding vegan friendly restaurants has been the true challenge. So I'm forced to eat only salads and then I must take out much of the things added. There are so many different ways to prepare and eat fresh vegetables and fruits and with the addition of soy products, your diet can become quite versatile. Good luck in your endeavors.

I don't think I'll miss meat as much as I'll miss dairy! And I went grocery shopping and found that a lot of things I thought would be vegan had small amounts of milk byproduct...

Oh! Are there any great vegan cereals that you know of?
  • kippit
    kippit Posts: 78
    Options
    I think this is AWESOME! I would join you but I am already 100% vegan.....best of luck with the challenge!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Go to your local health food grocery store (Whole Foods, Native Sun, etc) and pick up some Daiya cheese--melts just like real cheese, its amazing! Also for slices, try Rice Vegan. They're great for sandwiches. Feel free to add me and check out my food diary. I'm vegan 10 months.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! I'm already vegan, but feel free to hit me up with any questions or concerns you may have.

What a great challenge!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I don't think I'll miss meat as much as I'll miss dairy! And I went grocery shopping and found that a lot of things I thought would be vegan had small amounts of milk byproduct...

Oh! Are there any great vegan cereals that you know of?

I'd think that Kashi would have some.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Most cereal is vegan.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I like plain shredded wheat! I know, I'm a weirdo.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I went vegan 7 weeks ago, and have never felt better. I have so much more energy and my skin is really starting to look great. It was a huge learning curve, and I thought it would be difficult to give up dairy, especially cheese!! You know what.... it was not hard at all!!! Like you when I started looking at all the food labels I was amazed at how many had milk, eggs, and butter in. I have tried so many new foods in the last 7 weeks, it's great!!!

Great challenge, go for it!
  • saralye
    saralye Posts: 10
    Options
    I started this "vegan for a week" challenge on Saturday, and I've never felt better!

The worst part about it, really, was the cost of the initlal shopping trip. Now that I have all my pantry staples, I'm finding I usually have everything needed for most recipes I find online already. :) Also, since most wet vegan food (soups, milk, some veggie proteins etc . . .) is shelf-stable, I don't have to go shopping for like 2 weeks except for produce - and I do love a good farmer's market.

Because of feeling so good, clear-headed, and generally happier, not to mention finally kick-starting my weight loss, I did a little bit more research on going vegan online, and now I'm almost determined to continue. I read Skinny ***** (well, rather, I read the pages that you can see by clicking "Look Inside" on Amazon) and some of the points they make about the dairy industry scared the crap out of me (I've never had trouble giving up meat, but do love my cheese and milk). Ever since reading that, just the thought of dairy is kinda freaking me out.

Other than Skinny ***** and the Skinny ***** in the Kitch cookbooks, I've been loving the new book Peas and Thank You by Sarah Matheny. I haven't cooked a recipe yet that isn't my new favorite food, vegan or otherwise. She has more on her website of the same name.

Finding it hardest to find foods to eat when eating out - any recommendations in that department would help! (We don't have a lot of veggie/vegan restaurants in my town, and trying to eat vegan at most is akin to asking for a side of steamed veggies or green salad with oil & vinegar - no substance, no protein, no real "enjoyment" in going out when I can cook up something healthy, delicious and filling at home).

Anyway I'm on board with this challenge! Feel free to add me!
  • saralye
    saralye Posts: 10
    Options
    Re: Vegan Cereal: Make your own! Make up a big batch of muesli to enjoy with soy yogurt on warm, sunny days, and use the left over wheat germ (or rolled oats) to make stove-top hot cereal on cold, cloudy or rainy autumn mornings. Sweeten with Stevia or Xylitol for a yummy sugar alternative. Top with dried a drizzle of agave or maple syrup, fruit, nuts, or fresh chopped fruits. Yum.

I think most puffed brown rice cereal is vegan (check your health food store, avoid the Rice Krispies).
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'll join in! However, I think I will stick to traditionally vegan foods, and not supplement with artificially created substitutes :) The rainbow diet! Let's do it!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good luck everybody!

I've been vegan for a little over two years and it only gets easier!