In Ketosis but gaining weight!

Options
Hey everyone anyone have this happen? I’ve been in Keto diet for 4 weeks and lost 19lbs then all of a sudden I stopped losing for 3 days then starting gaining. I use Keto strips (see pic) and definitely in ketosis. Even had my wife test the strips on her so that’s not it. Track diet with this app and consuming between 1,500 - 1,800 calories/day with macros within range of 70/25/5 fat/protein/carbs. I started working out and stopped losing weight so I stopped. I’m drinking anywhere from 80-120 oz of water a day as well. Confused and frustrated any help?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if the weight gain started when you added in exercise then it is probably water retention.
  • j010219
    j010219 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out, it is possible your body is retaining water - usually takes a few weeks before this sorts itself out. Google "exercise and water retention" for to find articles that will give you an explanation better than I could.

Weight loss can be fast at the beginning and slow down after a bit - it's not linear. If after 3-4 weeks you're not losing at all, then it's take to re-evaluate your caloric intake
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Like others have said-starting a new exercise routine, or adding to your current one will most likely cause some water retention-it's temporary and will go away in a few days. Also, it's very normal to see weight fluctuations-this is due to all sorts of things, from sodium intake to digestion timing.

Look at your monthly trends (first of month weigh-in vs end of month weigh-in, to get a more accurate idea of where you're actually at.

Also, now that you've lost the initial water weight (a big chunk of the 19lbs), you're weight loss will slow down quite a bit. A good rate to see is 1lb a week.
  • missyelliott69
    missyelliott69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes I agree possibly water retention which will balance out eventually. If you are concerned take measurements (waist, chest, hips etc) and you will probably find you are still shrinking!