Keto flu, I think?

Options
Today I woke up sooo sick. Dizzy, nauseated, shaky. I thought oh, this must be the keto flu they talk about. I have been doing this for about 4 days, with full on Keto mode ,2 days, I think, I can't even remember right now. So I had some chicken bouillon soup. Was also sooooo thirsty. Like drank 4 17ltr bottles of water back to back!! Wasn't hungry at all, but made myself eat a boiled egg, and took a spoonful of unrefined coconut oil. Nothing helped, I laid down. Tried taking a shower, to get ready to go to Mom's for the Superbowl. Didn't last in the shower, washed my body but by the time I got to where I was about to wash my hair I wanted to faint. Threw myself on my bed. Threw up shortly after. I ended up staying home, fell asleep, woke up had a few chicken wings. Fell back asleep. Then woke up ok after, enough to eat, but still excessively thirsty. I don't know if this is keto flu. Did anyone else vomit. I'm sorry for the graphic visual. I don't know if I am not eating enough, was it dehydration ( I am peeing alot) or if I'm drinking too much apple cider vinegar and it messed with me. I haven't had a chance to buy any strips ,but I will try to do that soon. Any ideas, what happened to me?

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Could be electrolyte imbalance, particularly if you are drinking a lot and not eating enough salt. Try eating something salty perhaps.

You can also stop drinking the ACV, it does nothing.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the jack a roo flu
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    mjolnir81 wrote: »
    Just be careful. With Keto your body flushes out a lot of water in the first week which can give you an electrolyte mis balance, I think this is partly what causes keto flu. Adding in extra water will actually dilute your sodium levels even more.

You mentioned Boullion which is good, try having some food which is salty or adding salt to a meal. If you can stomach it add some salt to your water and try sipping it.

I can never get past a few days on keto so decided that if it was so difficult for me then it wasn't something I could sustain so gave it up. Are you doing keto just for weight loss or other reasons too?

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am doing it for weight loss. I have about 50 lbs I would like to lose.
  • tmanross
    tmanross Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Could it be ...actual flu?
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Rather than self diagnosis, I would visit a doctor if this keeps up.

But perhaps a diet where a side effect is a flu they named after it is not the best one to follow.

this! and why are you drinking "too much apple cider vinegar" - sounds like you are trying to do gimmicky things in hopes of a quick fix?? not sure why else you would put yourself through all that when a calorie deficit would do?!

I'm not trying a gimmicky quick fix. I drink Apple Cider Vinegar for other reasons than for weight loss. Also I like Apple Cider Vinegar 🤷 I was just worried what it might be interfering with the Keto diet. And I am also wondering why people who don't care about the Keto diet,and don't support it, would come on a thread to give advice on it. I wouldn't go to a fitness thread if someone was asking how to make gains. If you don't support something, wondering why you would feel the need to make someone feey stupid for trying something that clearly works for so many people. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Some people just aren't all for a diet that causes such adverse side effects but produces the same results that calorie counting would. You posted in food and nutrition, a general forum, where anyone can give input. Keto "works" for weight loss in the sense that it is a tool to help eat in a calorie deficit. There is nothing magical about it. Nobody here can tell you with certainty what's wrong with you, but it sounds quite miserable. How many calories are you eating while on this diet?

I am eating between 1400-1500 calories. I do understand that it is a forum where people can give their input. I guess my confusion lies in , wondering why people who don't do the keto diet want to make comments to someone asking for help from people who have gone through this. But you're right, anyone can comment. Anyhow, after drinking broth since all yesterday and drinking water non stop, I feel better. I have just a teeny bit of a headache now but I will continue with drinking water and making sure to get my sodium in.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Keto flu really isn't the flu - it's an electrolyte imbalance caused by the massive water dump at the start of Keto. Drink some pickle juice, eat some salt, drink a zero calorie sports drink, etc. Since you are dumping water, you are flushing salts, so you need to replace the salts. Most people recommend eating 3000 - 5000 mg of salt a day on the keto diet.

Thank you. I am drinking broth since last night, and do feel better. I will be looking into getting bone broth soon, as I hear that's good for getting in those electrolytes.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options

Honestly, I have never had the actual "flu" do I honestly wouldn't even know what that looks like 🤔
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Honestly, I have never had the actual "flu" do I honestly wouldn't even know what that looks like 🤔

Since it's flu season... you would have a noticeable fever that came on rather suddenly. Body aches are also very common. Stay well :)
  • missyelliott69
    missyelliott69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could have been the imbalance of electrolytes for sure and im glad its settled. Did you mean you drank x4 17ltr bottles of water?? or 1.7ltr..... Crikey - I would LIVE in the bathroom on that lol. I struggle to drink enough water if im not training.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When I used to drink ACV cuz I read it helped seasonal allergies (it don't) I'd always feel like puking