Help! i want to have a cheat day but scared incase i mess up my diet!.

Options
Hey guys!

I'm a new member here and new to the diet world. I've currently lost 5 pounds from 13st.5 to 13st.0 and i'm 5ft11, this is just under a week! i also used to eat like pig, seriously, not snacks, large meals! 3 a day maybe even 4 but i'm missing my junk food. I want to have a cheat day at the end of the week and my crave is for some gooey cookies and a Chinese takeaway (Special chow mein, egg fried rice and curry sauce) will this affect my diet? will this gain me weight in 1 day and mostly will this put be back at square one on the scales? i.e a wasted week of dieting?, Thank you.

Replies

• chrisboyle1
    chrisboyle1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How often are you planning to have cheat days and how big are they going to be? It is possible to ruin things with too many and/or too big of cheats.

A potential way to go about it is to set goals and allow a cheat day when you reach those goals. For example, allow a cheat day every 20 lbs. (or whatever makes sense for your total weight loss). You may gain some back, but then you wait until the next 20 lbs. for another cheat day. This way, you have built into the plan that you can allow cheat days that won't ruin your progress because you have to lose the cheat day gain plus another 20 lbs. (or however much you decide).

Once a week :smiley: and not that big just a few cookies and a Chinese takeout
  • chrisboyle1
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    If you log your calories daily (and make sure you also log your "cheat day"), you can see exactly what effect it will have on your weight loss. If you don't exceed your weekly calorie goal, you will continue to lose weight as expected in the long run (you'll probably see a temporary spike from water, additional waste, etc). If you don't exceed the calories you need to maintain, you won't gain any weight. If you exceed your maintenance calories, you will most likely see a gain in a couple of ounces which would be masked by normal weight fluctuations. Remember, you would have to eat about 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound. If you have an occasional "cheat day" you most likely won't see any impact on your weight loss over time, just be sure to not have them too often. :)

it's just the Chinese i'm craving, i doubt that will add up to 3500 will it? i've also read that your scales may say you've put on 3-4lb over night, but that could just be water weight and will go down? is that correct?.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you log your calories daily (and make sure you also log your "cheat day"), you can see exactly what effect it will have on your weight loss. If you don't exceed your weekly calorie goal, you will continue to lose weight as expected in the long run (you'll probably see a temporary spike from water, additional waste, etc). If you don't exceed the calories you need to maintain, you won't gain any weight. If you exceed your maintenance calories, you will most likely see a gain in a couple of ounces which would be masked by normal weight fluctuations. Remember, you would have to eat about 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound. If you have an occasional "cheat day" you most likely won't see any impact on your weight loss over time, just be sure to not have them too often. :)

it's just the Chinese i'm craving, i doubt that will add up to 3500 will it? i've also read that your scales may say you've put on 3-4lb over night, but that could just be water weight and will go down? is that correct?.

Yes, that is correct. If you plan to have a high-calorie day weekly, I would advise you to save a couple of hundred calories daily to use on your "cheat day" so that you stay within your weekly calorie allowance.

I did this for a while when I was losing -- saved calories and had a maintenance day (usually my regular meals but then a restaurant dinner) one day on the weekend.

Once I increased my exercise and had big exercise days (long run, long bike) on the weekends I just used the exercise calories instead.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I had a three week cheat days when I went on vacation and guess what??? It was just water weight that I gained and it went away within a week or so when I went back to my diet routine.

It stalled my process definitely but I was tripping for no reason. ONE day won’t hurt you.
  • chrisboyle1
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I had a three week cheat days when I went on vacation and guess what??? It was just water weight that I gained and it went away within a week or so when I went back to my diet routine.

It stalled my process definitely but I was tripping for no reason. ONE day won’t hurt you.

Thank god for that! so if i do see say an extra 1-2lb the day after, not to worry it will go down in a day or so? what about if i continue with my 1200cal the day after? will i continue to loose or will it be at a stand still due to my cheat day?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I started trying to get below 19 st, 6lb I logged my food for a week and discovered that one day of big eating each week was keeping me at that level.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

Thank god for that! so if i do see say an extra 1-2lb the day after, not to worry it will go down in a day or so? what about if i continue with my 1200cal the day after? will i continue to loose or will it be at a stand still due to my cheat day?

It takes 3500 calories to make 1lb of fat. Do you plan on eating that much? then yeah maybe you will gain fat but other than that one day won’t hurt you esp. if you’re only eating 1200 cals everyday, that 1- 2lbs will be water weight though.
  • Gaige_Mortenson95
    Options
    I'd reccomend cheat meals rather than cheat days. Way easier for me personally to stay on track with one crappy meal as compared to a whole day of junk.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    As a male, you should be eating more than 1,200 calories a day. I'm a 5ft 4 female and I eat a minimum of 1,400. You're setting yourself up to fail.

Also, 5 pounds in a week is a pretty rapid rate of loss. You are already in the healthy range of weight for a male of your height.