Knee pain during squats

Options
Recently I have been getting knee pain k my left leg.

When I do bodyweight squats, it is fine but when I do machine or hack squats then my left knee hurts.

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the weight??? The way you are doing it??? Old knee injury??? But Have you tried leg press? or sumo or deadlift to work your hamstrings?. I don't want to say it but you should stop squats till you find out as you don't want to damage your knees.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the weight??? The way you are doing it??? Old knee injury??? But Have you tried leg press? or sumo or deadlift to work your hamstrings?. I don't want to say it but you should stop squats till you find out as you don't want to damage your knees.

It hurts even with no weight.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You could ask your doctor?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not enough info to give advice.

Such as when exactly you perceive pain in the knee and how long it lasts.

What range of motion, stance, variation, etc... you've adjusted in attempt to tolerate pain that disapates.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long had you been doing squats before the pain started? A week? 10 years?
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor to check on the knees! He will likely ask you to perform a squat in front of you (he should, anyway..). No pair of knees squats alike. Everyone of us has a sligtly different stance and angle, depending on our knee or hip joints, resulting on slightly different ways of performing the exercise correctly.
    Best of luck!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    physiotherapist will tell you why. you are probably using incorrect stance, or need to work on other muscles to strengthen the knee such as calves, hamstrings and quads. Check out @coacheugeneteo on Instagram
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had knee problems performing squats which caused me to drop out of a boxercise class about 10 years ago. A few years later, when I learned to squat properly (straight back, knees not past toes, butt out) I didn't have a problem. Be sure you're doing the squats safely.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Good feedback!!!
  • iSneakers
    iSneakers Posts: 90 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I would strongly suggest going to an orthopedic doctor and getting your knee X-rayed. I was having a lot of pain in my Right knee that increased when I would dead lift, squat, and doing any type of HIIT workouts that involved jumping. I was given a cortisone shot in the knee which helped a great deal and advised not to do any types of workouts that put a lot of pressure on the knees. Through various fitness sites I was able to find many other strength training exercises that aren’t hard on my knees.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got some knee pain when i first started dead lifting, its because i increased the weight too rapidly in my progression. It eventually healed after a few weeks. I would go see a doctor in your case though because you have knee pain with no weight
  • crzy4my5
    crzy4my5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had and still have knee pain. I went to orthopedic and found out I have osteoarthritis. I got the cortisone shot, didn’t help at all. I received 3 gel injections and did a lot of physical therapy. Knee still hurts but feels much better. I was advised not to any impact exercises, squats and/lunges, but I was encouraged to do exercises to strengthen my hamstring and quads, such as hamstring curls.